Import German Number Format

From
"Tim Semmelhaack"
Date:
Hello,

I have to import a huge number of data sets of data sets with "Copy from".

The numbers are formatted with decimal comma ',' (as usual in Germany)
instead of the decimal point '.'

When I try to import this data Postgres crashes, so I think I have to
change a parameter with SET? Does anybody know which parameter I have
to change?

Tim

--

Re: Import German Number Format

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  Thu, dem 02.10.2008, um 15:35:44 +0200 mailte Tim Semmelhaack folgendes:
> Hello,
>
> I have to import a huge number of data sets of data sets with "Copy from".
>
> The numbers are formatted with decimal comma ',' (as usual in Germany)
> instead of the decimal point '.'
>
> When I try to import this data Postgres crashes, so I think I have to

PostgreSQL crashed? I disbelieve this, you got an error, right?

> change a parameter with SET? Does anybody know which parameter I have
> to change?

There isn't such a parameter. Change your data, change the ',' to '.'.
Or load the data into a temp. table as text and use build-in-functions to
convert this text to numeric and fill your destination table.

I would use sed or such tools.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Import German Number Format

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Tim Semmelhaack <semmelhaack@gmail.com> wrote:
> The numbers are formatted with decimal comma ',' (as usual in Germany)
> instead of the decimal point '.'
>
> When I try to import this data Postgres crashes, so I think I have to
> change a parameter with SET? Does anybody know which parameter I have
> to change?

Independent of locale-related settings, I don't believe PG will accept
a comma as input in this case.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Senior DBA
myYearbook.com

Re: Import German Number Format

From
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Date:
On Thursday 2. October 2008, Tim Semmelhaack wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I have to import a huge number of data sets of data sets with "Copy
> from".
>
>The numbers are formatted with decimal comma ',' (as usual in Germany)
>instead of the decimal point '.'
>
>When I try to import this data Postgres crashes, so I think I have to
>change a parameter with SET? Does anybody know which parameter I have
>to change?

Me And My Database: http://solumslekt.org/blog/