How to change log file language?

From
Rainer Bauer
Date:
Hi all,

I installed 8.3.3 on an english WinXP. The database cluster was initialized
with server encoding UTF8 and the locale was set to 'German, Germany'.

Now all messages in the log and everywhere else are showing up in German (as
expected). However I want to see those messages in English. I tried to alter
lc_messages in the postgresql.conf file ( '', 'C' and 'English_United
States'), but this seems to have no effect (yes, I restarted the server).

Searching the archives, I found someone with a similar problem:
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2008-05/msg00106.php>

Could anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Rainer

Re: How to change log file language?

From
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Date:
On Friday 19. September 2008, Rainer Bauer wrote:

>I installed 8.3.3 on an english WinXP. The database cluster was
> initialized with server encoding UTF8 and the locale was set to
> 'German, Germany'.
>
>Now all messages in the log and everywhere else are showing up in
> German (as expected). However I want to see those messages in
> English. I tried to alter lc_messages in the postgresql.conf file (
> '', 'C' and 'English_United States'), but this seems to have no
> effect (yes, I restarted the server).

I don't know how this is handled in Windows, but on a Linux computer you
can enter the directory /usr/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/ and
just rename or delete the file psql.mo.

I fixed the issue permanently on my Gentoo system by disabling nls
support for PostgreSQL. I hate localized messages. They are
distracting, hard to figure out, or even downright silly, and you can't
do efficient searches on Google in problem situations.
Me And My Database: http://solumslekt.org/blog/

Date:
"Leif B. Kristensen" wrote:

>I don't know how this is handled in Windows, but on a Linux computer you
>can enter the directory /usr/local/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/ and
>just rename or delete the file psql.mo.

Thanks for the tipp: After renaming folder
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\share\locale\de
to "de_" I have the english texts. But I cannot imagine that the language
cannot be altered after the cluster was initialized.

Any other suggestions?

Rainer