Is there a parameter to tell postgresql to not attempt to open an IPv6 socket?

From
"Reid.Thompson"
Date:
Startup of 8.3.3 on AIX is outputting these messages into the logfile...

        LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: The socket name is already in use.
        HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.

PostgreSQL appears to all intents to startup fine on the UNIX and IPv4
sockets.  Is there a parameter to tell postgresql to not attempt to open
an IPv6 socket?

Thanks,
reid

Re: Is there a parameter to tell postgresql to not attempt to open an IPv6 socket?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 04:46:37PM -0400, Reid.Thompson wrote:

> PostgreSQL appears to all intents to startup fine on the UNIX and IPv4
> sockets.  Is there a parameter to tell postgresql to not attempt to open
> an IPv6 socket?

Specify the specific TCP/IP interfaces in the postmaster.conf file.
Otherwise, Postgres will try to bind to all the sockets.  There's
something hinkey about the IPv6 support in AIX, IIRC, so that you end
up with this symptom.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/

yann.dubost@gmail.com
Date:
On 16 sep, 23:04, a...@commandprompt.com (Andrew Sullivan) wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 04:46:37PM -0400, Reid.Thompson wrote:
> > PostgreSQL appears to all intents to startup fine on the UNIX and IPv4
> > sockets.  Is there a parameter to tell postgresql tonotattempt to open
> > anIPv6socket?
>
> Specify the specific TCP/IP interfaces in the postmaster.conf file.
> Otherwise, Postgres will try tobindto all the sockets.  There's
> something hinkey about theIPv6support in AIX, IIRC, so that you end
> up with this symptom.

> Andrew Sullivan
> a...@commandprompt.com
> +1 503 667 4564 x104http://www.commandprompt.com/

Hello,

I have the same pb. I have looked for a postmaster.conf file but there
is none on the server.
Apart from the doc and src files, the only files on my server
containing the word "postmaster" are :
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
$PGDATA/postmaster.opts
$PGDATA/postmaster.pid

Do you have an idea why and how then to solve this pb ?

Thanks,

Yann.

Re: Re: Is there a parameter to tell postgresql to not attempt to open an IPv6 socket?

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 7:41 AM,  <yann.dubost@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 sep, 23:04, a...@commandprompt.com (Andrew Sullivan) wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 04:46:37PM -0400, Reid.Thompson wrote:
>> > PostgreSQL appears to all intents to startup fine on the UNIX and IPv4
>> > sockets.  Is there a parameter to tell postgresql tonotattempt to open
>> > anIPv6socket?
>>
>> Specify the specific TCP/IP interfaces in the postmaster.conf file.
>> Otherwise, Postgres will try tobindto all the sockets.  There's
>> something hinkey about theIPv6support in AIX, IIRC, so that you end
>> up with this symptom.
>>

> Hello,
>
> I have the same pb. I have looked for a postmaster.conf file but there
> is none on the server.
> Apart from the doc and src files, the only files on my server
> containing the word "postmaster" are :
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster
> $PGDATA/postmaster.opts
> $PGDATA/postmaster.pid
>
> Do you have an idea why and how then to solve this pb ?

Look for postgresql.conf

Date:
On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 06:41:33AM -0700, yann.dubost@gmail.com wrote:
> On 16 sep, 23:04, a...@commandprompt.com (Andrew Sullivan) wrote:
> > Specify the specific TCP/IP interfaces in the postmaster.conf file.

> I have the same pb. I have looked for a postmaster.conf file but there

Doh!  Sorry, that should have been "postgresql.conf".

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@commandprompt.com
+1 503 667 4564 x104
http://www.commandprompt.com/