pg_catalog forward compatibility

From
Robert Gobeille
Date:
Is there a better way to query a database definition than select from
pg_catalog tables and views?  For example, when I put out a new
software update, I need to verify that all the table, column,
constraint, etc definitions are correct for the update.

Thanks,
Bob

Re: pg_catalog forward compatibility

From
"Pavel Stehule"
Date:
Hello

2008/9/2 Robert Gobeille <bob.gobeille@hp.com>:
> Is there a better way to query a database definition than select from
> pg_catalog tables and views?  For example, when I put out a new software
> update, I need to verify that all the table, column, constraint, etc
> definitions are correct for the update.

information_schema

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/information-schema.html

Regards
Pavel Stehule

> Thanks,
> Bob

Re: pg_catalog forward compatibility

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Tue, Sep 02, 2008 at 09:25:50AM -0600, Robert Gobeille wrote:
> Is there a better way to query a database definition than select
> from  pg_catalog tables and views?  For example, when I put out a
> new software update, I need to verify that all the table, column,
> constraint, etc definitions are correct for the update.

The catalogs don't have enough information for that.  Instead, keep
better control of your DDL by putting it under source code management
including any upgrade (or possibly downgrade) scripts in it.

If you're deploying an application, be sure you warn people that any
DDL they do that's not one of your scripts will break it.  Explicitly
disclaim any responsibility for such meddling. :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!