Partitioned Tables - How/Can does slony handle it?

From
Ow Mun Heng
Date:
I posed this question to the Slony List as well, but no response yet.

I'll post it here as well, to elicit some responses, as there's a larger
community of people using PG+Slony who may also be on slony-list.

The question that I have is, I'm trying to determine if there's a
possibility that I can do table partitioning and still use slony to
replicate the table to the slave.

1st. I'm not sure if it can be done, if it can, then how does it do it?
Is it able to automatically add the new partitioned table or will it
need to be manually added through slonik?

If anyone has any experience in this, it would be good for my knowledge
as I'm trying to optimise the DB I have. The individual tables are close
to like 60million rows and occupying ~15G (+15G Indexes)

Re: Partitioned Tables - How/Can does slony handle it?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> I posed this question to the Slony List as well, but no response yet.

It's actually in the Slony docs:
http://www.slony.info/documentation/partitioning.html

I haven't actually used it in production myself, though :-)

//Magnus

Re: Partitioned Tables - How/Can does slony handle it?

From
Alan Hodgson
Date:
On Thursday 28 August 2008, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:
> > I posed this question to the Slony List as well, but no response yet.
>
> It's actually in the Slony docs:
> http://www.slony.info/documentation/partitioning.html
>
> I haven't actually used it in production myself, though :-)

It works (at least add_empty_table_to_replication() does). It's certainly
not automatic, but it's a lot easier than creating a new set, replicating
it and merging it every time you add partitions.

--
Alan