in query variables....

From
"Rhys A.D. Stewart"
Date:
Hi all,

this is from the is there a way file.
Is there a way to get the name of the relation or relations in a query
from within the query?  Like some kind of magic variable...?
for example :
              "select *, <some_magic_variable> from thistable"
where <some_magic_variable> would be replaced by thistable.

Rhys
Peace & Love|Live Long & Prosper

Re: in query variables....

From
"Ismael ...."

> Hi all,
>
> this is from the is there a way file.
> Is there a way to get the name of the relation or relations in a query
> from within the query?  Like some kind of magic variable...?
> for example :
>               "select *,  from thistable"
> where  would be replaced by thistable.
>

> Rhys
> Peace & Love|Live Long & Prosper

No as far as I know, but you can create a stored procedure and pass
as parameter the table and then "create" your own query and
execute it from within the stored procedure

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/plpgsql-statements.html

EXECUTE 'UPDATE '|| some_magic_variable || ' SET '
        || quote_ident(colname)
        || ' = '
        || quote_literal(newvalue)
        || ' WHERE key = '
        || quote_literal(keyvalue);

I haven't tried it thought.
Tenemos lo que búscas…JUEGOS.
http://club.prodigymsn.com/

Re: in query variables....

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Rhys A.D. Stewart escribió:

> Is there a way to get the name of the relation or relations in a query
> from within the query?  Like some kind of magic variable...?
> for example :
>               "select *, <some_magic_variable> from thistable"
> where <some_magic_variable> would be replaced by thistable.

select *, tableoid::regclass from thistable