Replacing MS Access with Postgresql

From
salman Sheikh

Hi Fellows

i have already MS Access databank (version 97) and source has been written in C++.Is it possible that i can replace it with postgresql as it is.Becoz i have 10 different tables,which are joined eachother.

any Suggestion?

as u ppl know ,i am new user of postgresql.

thanks in advance

Sheikh Salman Ahmed

Jetzt neu! Schützen Sie Ihren PC mit McAfee und WEB.DE. 30 Tage

Re: Replacing MS Access with Postgresql

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 07/07/2008 18:43, salman Sheikh wrote:

> i have already MS Access databank (version 97) and source has been
> written in C++.Is it possible that i can replace it with postgresql as
> it is.Becoz i have 10 different tables,which are joined eachother.

It depends. How are you accessing the database from your C++ app? AFAIK
(not having done it myself) the usual ways to access PG from C/C++ are
via libpq or ODBC.

BTW, *please* don't send email to the list which references remote images.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Replacing MS Access with Postgresql

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:43 AM, salman Sheikh <salman_sheikh@web.de> wrote:

> Hi Fellows
>
> i have already MS Access databank (version 97) and source has been written
> in C++.Is it possible that i can replace it with postgresql as it is.Becoz i
> have 10 different tables,which are joined eachother.

As it probably not, but it's quite possible that the code changes
needed will be minimal.  I'd start by porting over your tables and
data and starting messing with it to see what errors you get.  Areas
that are likely to be problematic are autoincrementing fields.