roll back to 8.1 for PyQt driver work-around

From
Scott Frankel
Date:
Hello, I just signed on the list.

Any suggestions for how best to launch one of two different versions
of pg installed on the same machine?

I have both 8.3 and 8.1 installed on a MacBookPro (OS X 10.5.2).  I
stopped the 8.3 postmaster using pg_ctl in order to roll back to 8.1.
Problem is, now I can't seem to start the server using either version.

When I launch 8.1 with pg_ctl, it yields a "postmaster starting"
message; but then a status check shows that the server is not
running.  Issuing the same commands for 8.3, I get similar results.

eg:

[tiento:~] postgres% /opt/local/lib/postgresql81/bin/pg_ctl start -D /
Library/PostgreSQL8/data -l /Users/Shared/pgLog/pgLog.txt
postmaster starting

[tiento:~] postgres% /opt/local/lib/postgresql81/bin/pg_ctl status -D /
Library/PostgreSQL8/data
pg_ctl: neither postmaster nor postgres running

I'm trying to roll back to version 8.1 as I've run into a bug in Qt's
QPSQL driver.  I'm able to create tables and add rows of data to them;
but my model.select() statements all fail.  The "This version of
PostgreSQL is not supported and may not work" message is ominous ;)

Thanks in advance!
Scott

Scott Frankel
President/VFX Supervisor
Circle-S Studios
510-339-7477 (o)
510-332-2990 (c)

Re: roll back to 8.1 for PyQt driver work-around

Date:
Scott Frankel <frankel@circlesfx.com> writes:
> Any suggestions for how best to launch one of two different versions
> of pg installed on the same machine?

> I have both 8.3 and 8.1 installed on a MacBookPro (OS X 10.5.2).  I
> stopped the 8.3 postmaster using pg_ctl in order to roll back to 8.1.
> Problem is, now I can't seem to start the server using either version.

It looks like you're trying to use the same data directory for both
versions, which won't work.  They're not compatible on-disk.

> When I launch 8.1 with pg_ctl, it yields a "postmaster starting"
> message; but then a status check shows that the server is not
> running.  Issuing the same commands for 8.3, I get similar results.

Looking into the postmaster log file (your -l specification) might
yield some insight.  pg_ctl itself doesn't really know why the
postmaster failed to start.

            regards, tom lane

Re: roll back to 8.1 for PyQt driver work-around

From
Scott Frankel
Date:
Thanks for the tips.  I've created separate log files for the two
versions of pg, but postmaster still won't start.

When I try to start 8.3, the log file lists a fatal error in the
postgresql.conf file.  But there are no obvious errors in that file.
Line 107 reads:  "shared_buffers = 1600kB".

I've also tried grep'ing for port 5432, but it all looks clear.  eg:

    tiento:~ root# lsof -Pni | grep :5432  -->  yields nothing

    tiento[yfilm]% ps uxwa | grep postgres
    postgres 46547 0.0 0.1 604328 1204 s006 S+ 11:09PM 0:00.10 -tcsh
    root 46546 0.0 0.1 75536 1064 s006 S 11:09PM 0:00.02 su - postgres
    frankel 46720 0.0 0.0 599780 392 s003 R+ 8:58AM 0:00.00 grep postgres

Here's the full text from the log file:

FATAL:  syntax error in file "/Library/PostgreSQL8/data/
postgresql.conf" line 107, near token "kB"
FATAL:  syntax error in file "/Library/PostgreSQL8/data/
postgresql.conf" line 107, near token "kB"
LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not,
wait a few seconds and retry.
FATAL:  incorrect checksum in control file
LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not,
wait a few seconds and retry.
FATAL:  incorrect checksum in control file
LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not,
wait a few seconds and retry.
FATAL:  incorrect checksum in control file
LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use
HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not,
wait a few seconds and retry.

Thanks again!
Scott

Date:
Scott Frankel <frankel@circlesfx.com> writes:
> When I try to start 8.3, the log file lists a fatal error in the
> postgresql.conf file.  But there are no obvious errors in that file.
> Line 107 reads:  "shared_buffers = 1600kB".

You need quotes, like
    shared_buffers = '1600kB'

> FATAL:  incorrect checksum in control file

This looks like a version compatibility problem, though I'm surprised
it wasn't complained of earlier.

            regards, tom lane

Re: roll back to 8.1 for PyQt driver work-around

From
Scott Frankel
Date:
Sorry to drag this on further.  Though I'm now able to start pg8.3
again (thanks!), I still can't launch pg8.1.  Rolling back to 8.1 is
my goal in order to work around a driver issue in Qt.

Is there an example postgresql.conf file for pg 8.1 I can review?
Mine appears to be valid only for pg8.3.

Adding quotes to the shared_buffers value allows pg8.3 to start
successfully.  Unfortunately, pg8.1 continues to have issues with it.
eg:

FATAL:  syntax error in file "/Library/PostgreSQL8/data/
postgresql.conf" line 107, near token "kB"
FATAL:  parameter "shared_buffers" requires an integer value
FATAL:  unrecognized configuration parameter
"default_text_search_config"

Thanks again!
Scott

On Jul 6, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Scott Frankel <frankel@circlesfx.com> writes:
>> When I try to start 8.3, the log file lists a fatal error in the
>> postgresql.conf file.  But there are no obvious errors in that file.
>> Line 107 reads:  "shared_buffers = 1600kB".
>
> You need quotes, like
>     shared_buffers = '1600kB'
>
>> FATAL:  incorrect checksum in control file
>
> This looks like a version compatibility problem, though I'm surprised
> it wasn't complained of earlier.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Scott Frankel
President/VFX Supervisor
Circle-S Studios
510-339-7477 (o)
510-332-2990 (c)

Re: roll back to 8.1 for PyQt driver work-around

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Scott Frankel wrote:

> Is there an example postgresql.conf file for pg 8.1 I can review?  Mine
> appears to be valid only for pg8.3.

Sure, it comes with the distribution as postgresql.conf.sample and is
installed by initdb.

> Adding quotes to the shared_buffers value allows pg8.3 to start
> successfully.  Unfortunately, pg8.1 continues to have issues with it.
> eg:
>

> FATAL:  syntax error in file "/Library/PostgreSQL8/data/postgresql.conf"
> line 107, near token "kB"

Naming the directory as PostgreSQL8 is not a very good idea -- perhaps
using "PostgreSQL81" to distinguish it from PostgreSQL83 would be
better.  This is only cosmetic but it gets the point across that the two
are not compatible on-disk, as Tom already said.  (In general you cannot
share the config file either.)

Re: roll back to 8.1 for PyQt driver work-around

From
Lennin Caro
Date:
sound like you have a postmaster.pid in your PGDATA directory. Rename file postmaster.pid and launch the postgresql
again

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:

Date:
Sorry to drag this on further.  Though I'm now able to start pg8.3
again (thanks!), I still can't launch pg8.1.  Rolling back to 8.1 is
my goal in order to work around a driver issue in Qt.

Is there an example postgresql.conf file for pg 8.1 I can review?
Mine appears to be valid only for pg8.3.

Adding quotes to the shared_buffers value allows pg8.3 to start
successfully.  Unfortunately, pg8.1 continues to have issues with it.
eg:

FATAL:  syntax error in file "/Library/PostgreSQL8/data/
postgresql.conf" line 107, near token "kB"
FATAL:  parameter "shared_buffers" requires an integer value
FATAL:  unrecognized configuration parameter
"default_text_search_config"

Thanks again!
Scott

On Jul 6, 2008, at 10:48 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Scott Frankel <frankel@circlesfx.com> writes:
>> When I try to start 8.3, the log file lists a fatal error in the
>> postgresql.conf file.  But there are no obvious errors in that file.
>> Line 107 reads:  "shared_buffers = 1600kB".
>
> You need quotes, like
>     shared_buffers = '1600kB'
>
>> FATAL:  incorrect checksum in control file
>
> This looks like a version compatibility problem, though I'm surprised
> it wasn't complained of earlier.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Scott Frankel
President/VFX Supervisor
Circle-S Studios
510-339-7477 (o)
510-332-2990 (c)

Re: roll back to 8.1 for PyQt driver work-around

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Scott Frankel a écrit :
>     [...]
> Here's the full text from the log file:
>
> FATAL:  syntax error in file "/Library/PostgreSQL8/data/postgresql.conf"
> line 107, near token "kB"

You can't use units in a pre-8.2 config file.

> FATAL:  syntax error in file "/Library/PostgreSQL8/data/postgresql.conf"
> line 107, near token "kB"
> LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use
> HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait
> a few seconds and retry.

Apparently the 8.3 server is already running on port 5432... which seems
plausible because I think you launch 8.1 on the 8.3 data directory.

> FATAL:  incorrect checksum in control file
> LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use
> HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait
> a few seconds and retry.
> FATAL:  incorrect checksum in control file

It means you try to execute an 8.1 server on a data directory
initialized by an 8.2 or 8.3 initdb.

> LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use
> HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait
> a few seconds and retry.
> FATAL:  incorrect checksum in control file
> LOG:  could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use
> HINT:  Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait
> a few seconds and retry.

You can use two different release on the same server. But you need
different port number and different data directory.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
  http://www.postgresqlfr.org