Best backup setup

From
"Gabor Siklos"

I need to back up our database off-site for disaster recovery. If I just back up the entire database data directory (i.e. /var/lib/pgsql/data) will I be able to restore from there? Or should I instead just dump the data, using pg_dump, and back up the dump?

The advantage of the first method would be that I would not have to wait for pg_dump (it takes quite long on our 60G+ database) and would just be able to configure the backup agent to monitor the data directory and do differential backups of the files there every hour or so.

Your suggestions are much appreciated!

-Gabor

Re: Best backup setup

From
Erik Jones
Date:
On Apr 23, 2008, at 10:03 AM, Gabor Siklos wrote:

> I need to back up our database off-site for disaster recovery. If I
> just back up the entire database data directory (i.e. /var/lib/pgsql/
> data) will I be able to restore from there? Or should I instead just
> dump the data, using pg_dump, and back up the dump?
>
> The advantage of the first method would be that I would not have to
> wait for pg_dump (it takes quite long on our 60G+ database) and
> would just be able to configure the backup agent to monitor the data
> directory and do differential backups of the files there every hour
> or so.
>
> Your suggestions are much appreciated!

Are you repeating this question for which you previously received
answers?  Or, is the list server repeating messages?

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888