How to tell if 64 bit vs 32 bit engine?

From
Keaton Adams
Date:
I did search the archives for this.... But didn’t see a posting that directly answered the question.

How do I tell if the 32 bit version of PostgreSQL is running on a 64 bit machine, or if the 64 bit version was installed?  Is there a pg_ table that I can query or a config file I can look in to find out?  I found nothing in postgresql.conf that would indicate this.

Thanks,

Keaton

Re: How to tell if 64 bit vs 32 bit engine?

From
Zoltan Boszormenyi
Date:
Keaton Adams írta:
> I did search the archives for this.... But didn’t see a posting that
> directly answered the question.
>
> How do I tell if the 32 bit version of PostgreSQL is running on a 64
> bit machine, or if the 64 bit version was installed? Is there a pg_
> table that I can query or a config file I can look in to find out? I
> found nothing in postgresql.conf that would indicate this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Keaton

select version();

It will tell you the compiler version and arch as well. You can deduce
from there.

--
----------------------------------
Zoltán Böszörményi

Re: How to tell if 64 bit vs 32 bit engine?

From
"BRUSSER Michael"

There is probably a better way of doing this, but if nothing else try this:

PostgreSQL executables on Unix:

% file postmaster psql

postmaster:  ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped

psql:        ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped

Checking on the UNIX platform:

AIX:

getconf HARDWARE_BITMODE

getconf KERNEL_BITMODE

HP-UX:

getconf KERNEL_BITS   (returns 54 on a 64-bit machine, “Invalid argument” on a 32-bit machine)

Linux:

uname -a   (you’ll see i386 on a 32-bit machine,  x86_64 on a 64-bit machine)

Solaris:

isainfo –v  (post Solaris 2.7)

Hope it helps,

Michael.

Date:
Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb@cybertec.at> writes:
> Keaton Adams �rta:
>> How do I tell if the 32 bit version of PostgreSQL is running on a 64
>> bit machine, or if the 64 bit version was installed?

> select version();
> It will tell you the compiler version and arch as well. You can deduce
> from there.

Or, if that doesn't seem very helpful, file(1) applied to the postgres
executable will tell you if it's a 32-bit or 64-bit executable.

            regards, tom lane

Re: How to tell if 64 bit vs 32 bit engine?

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Zoltan Boszormenyi wrote:
> select version();
>
> It will tell you the compiler version and arch as well. You can deduce
> from there.

That approach is not reliable.  I often build and run a 32-bit build of
PostgreSQL on a machine that claims to be something like
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu.

Re: How to tell if 64 bit vs 32 bit engine?

From
"Uwe Seher"
Date:

http://www.gispunkt.de - http://maps.gispunkt.de

Re: How to tell if 64 bit vs 32 bit engine?

From
zedware
Date: