Which JDBC version to use with PostgreSQL 8.1.11?

From
Bjørn T Johansen
Date:
Should I use JDBC version 8.1 Build 412 with this database or is it recommended to use JDBC version 8.3 Build 603
or another version?

Regards,

BTJ

Bjørn T Johansen

btj@havleik.no
Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:

Re: Which JDBC version to use with PostgreSQL 8.1.11?

From
"- Edwin -"
Date:
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> Should I use JDBC version 8.1 Build 412 with this database or
> is it recommended to use JDBC version 8.3 Build 603
>  or another version?

Why not just stick with the version compatible with your JDK/JVM
version? (Check http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html for list)

--
- Edwin -
"The righteous themselves will possess the earth,

Re: Which JDBC version to use with PostgreSQL 8.1.11?

From
Bjørn T Johansen
Date:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:29:21 +0900
"- Edwin -" <ml2edwin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 6:17 AM, Bjørn T Johansen wrote:
> > Should I use JDBC version 8.1 Build 412 with this database or
> > is it recommended to use JDBC version 8.3 Build 603
> >  or another version?
>
> Why not just stick with the version compatible with your JDK/JVM
> version? (Check http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html for list)

Ok, I just thought since the version says 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 that this meant that jdbc version 8.1 should be used for db
version
8.1, jdbc version 8.2 was meant for db 8.2, and so forth....

BTJ

Re: Which JDBC version to use with PostgreSQL 8.1.11?

From
Kris Jurka

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Bj�rn T Johansen wrote:

> Ok, I just thought since the version says 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 that this
> meant that jdbc version 8.1 should be used for db version 8.1, jdbc
> version 8.2 was meant for db 8.2, and so forth....

The version numbering is meant to indicate that for a 8.1 database you
need at least a 8.1 JDBC driver because the driver usually needs some
changes for each new server version, but we maintain compatibility with
previous server versions.  We maintain the older driver versions because
the driver's behavior changes slightly from version to version, so people
can upgrade to get bug fixes without new features/behavior changes.  So if
you're starting a new application with a 8.1 server, there's no reason not
to use the 8.3 driver, but if you're already using the 8.1 driver,
upgrading to the 8.3 driver without testing is not a good idea.

Kris Jurka