Create user trigger?

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
Hi Chaps,

We're setting up 3 servers replicating using slony. I was wondering if it'd be possible for me to create a set of
triggersthat fire whenever a user is created/dropped/modified on one of the servers that goes and performs the same
actionthe other two servers.

Does that sound doable?

I'm not sure what the implications of doing this would be, and I'mm not sure the best way to do it.... But this is what
Iwas thinking of doing:

Have a user table containing all the usernames, and every time a user is inserted/deleted from the table create/drop
theuser using a trigger. Then put the table in replication using slony.

Obviously I'd have to drop and then recreate the users when I wanted to alter them, and I'd have to meke sure
permissionswere set properly to the table.

Are there any better alternatives?

Thanks

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/

Re: Create user trigger?

From
Decibel!
Date:
Dropping the slony list.

On Mar 18, 2008, at 5:32 AM, Glyn Astill wrote:
> We're setting up 3 servers replicating using slony. I was wondering
> if it'd be possible for me to create a set of triggers that fire
> whenever a user is created/dropped/modified on one of the servers
> that goes and performs the same action the other two servers.

There is no support for DDL triggers, even though it's frequently
requested. Unfortunately, almost every time it's brought up it
degrades into a debate about why we can't add triggers to catalog
tables; forgetting that there's other ways to do this. Searching the
pgsql-hackers archives should be enlightening.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Re: Create user trigger?

Date:
Decibel! wrote:
> Dropping the slony list.
>
> On Mar 18, 2008, at 5:32 AM, Glyn Astill wrote:
> > We're setting up 3 servers replicating using slony. I was wondering
> > if it'd be possible for me to create a set of triggers that fire
> > whenever a user is created/dropped/modified on one of the servers
> > that goes and performs the same action the other two servers.
>
> There is no support for DDL triggers, even though it's frequently
> requested. Unfortunately, almost every time it's brought up it
> degrades into a debate about why we can't add triggers to catalog
> tables; forgetting that there's other ways to do this. Searching the
> pgsql-hackers archives should be enlightening.

We have a potential patch for 8.4 for this.