Recomendations on raid controllers raid 1+0

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
Hi chaps,

I'm looking at switching out the perc5i (lsi megaraid) cards from our
Dell 2950s for something else as they're crap at raid 10.

Thing is I'm not entirely sure where to start, we're using 6 SAS
drives and also need a bbu cache. The perc5i has 256mb which I'm sure
would be fine for us.

We're using debian etch 64 bit.

What cards have you lot had success with?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Glyn Astill

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
The World's Favourite Email http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

Re: Recomendations on raid controllers raid 1+0

From
Vivek Khera
Date:
On Mar 13, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Glyn Astill wrote:

> I'm looking at switching out the perc5i (lsi megaraid) cards from our
> Dell 2950s for something else as they're crap at raid 10.

Use an actual LSI branded card instead of the Dell "improved" version.

Re: Recomendations on raid controllers raid 1+0

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: Recomendations on raid controllers raid 1+0

From
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Date:
On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:18:43 -0400
Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org> wrote:

> On Mar 13, 2008, at 7:50 AM, Glyn Astill wrote:

> > I'm looking at switching out the perc5i (lsi megaraid) cards from
> > our Dell 2950s for something else as they're crap at raid 10.

> Use an actual LSI branded card instead of the Dell "improved"
> version.

I have a couple of Dell with a CERC controllers. I know it is a cheap
part... but still I took those Dells with 3 years support NBD *but*
LSI and Dell dropped Linux support *before* the support was expired.

Now I've 2 respectable file server that can't be upgraded to etch and
sarge won't have sec support at the end of this month.

I'll think it twice before I buy a Dell/LSI controller next time.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it