Initdb failed in PostgreSQL 7.3.21

From
"Kakoli Sen"

        I install PostgreSQL 7.3.21 successfully with sudo and could start the postmaster as sudo.

  Then I want to initialise my own db as unprivileged user. I run the following commands:

root# mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
root# chown kakolis /usr/local/pgsql/data
root# su kakolis
kakolis$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data.

The last command gives the following output:
Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1...
initdb failed.

Where is the problem?

Regards,

Kakoli

KAKOLI SEN                              Ph:91-80-25341909/215(Extn. 309)
C-DAC Knowledge Park                    E-mail:
#1, Old Madras Road                     kakolis@cdacb.ernet.in
Bangalore - 560 038, INDIA              kakoli_basu@yahoo.co.in

Re: Initdb failed in PostgreSQL 7.3.21

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 05:45:05PM +0530, Kakoli Sen wrote:
> Hi,
> I install PostgreSQL 7.3.21 successfully with sudo and could start
> the postmaster as sudo.

The 7.3 series is no longer supported.  Use 8.3 instead.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: Initdb failed in PostgreSQL 7.3.21

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Feb 18, 2008 6:15 AM, Kakoli Sen <kakolis@cdacb.ernet.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>         I install PostgreSQL 7.3.21 successfully with sudo and could start
> the postmaster as sudo.

The postmaster won't starte without a valid data directory.

>   Then I want to initialise my own db as unprivileged user. I run the
> following commands:
>
> root# mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
> root# chown kakolis /usr/local/pgsql/data
> root# su kakolis
> kakolis$ initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data.
>
> The last command gives the following output:
> Fixing permissions on existing directory /usr/local/pgsql/data... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/base... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/global... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog... ok
> creating directory /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_clog... ok
> creating template1 database in /usr/local/pgsql/data/base/1...
> initdb failed.
>
> Where is the problem?

The db is already initted?  Just guessing.

Re: Initdb failed in PostgreSQL 7.3.21

Date:
"Kakoli Sen" <kakolis@cdacb.ernet.in> writes:
>         I install PostgreSQL 7.3.21 successfully with sudo and could start
> the postmaster as sudo.

What platform is that?  How exactly did you install Postgres --- build
from source, install someone's package (whose?), ...?

Why are you intent on making a fresh installation of 7.3.x anyway?
Seems like it'd be better to take the opportunity to move to a
non-obsolete release.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On Feb 18, 2008 1:44 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> "Kakoli Sen" <kakolis@cdacb.ernet.in> writes:
> >         I install PostgreSQL 7.3.21 successfully with sudo and could start
> > the postmaster as sudo.
>
> What platform is that?  How exactly did you install Postgres --- build
> from source, install someone's package (whose?), ...?
>
> Why are you intent on making a fresh installation of 7.3.x anyway?
> Seems like it'd be better to take the opportunity to move to a
> non-obsolete release.

Who knows?  He might have a 6.5.3 server somewhere huffing away and
he's busy installing various versions as halfway points.  Just a
guess.  I had the same reaction as you.  I certainly hope it's not
being setup for new development, but sometimes I have to blow the dust
off an old server and run old software.

Re: Initdb failed in PostgreSQL 7.3.21

Date:
"Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> On Feb 18, 2008 1:44 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Why are you intent on making a fresh installation of 7.3.x anyway?
>> Seems like it'd be better to take the opportunity to move to a
>> non-obsolete release.

> Who knows?  He might have a 6.5.3 server somewhere huffing away and
> he's busy installing various versions as halfway points.  Just a
> guess.  I had the same reaction as you.  I certainly hope it's not
> being setup for new development, but sometimes I have to blow the dust
> off an old server and run old software.

Sure, he might have a good reason for it.  I was just thinking that
if he'd picked that version for no particularly strong reason, it'd
likely be easier to debug this problem (if it even still exists) using
a more modern release branch.  Blowing dust off our recollections about
7.3 is not such an easy thing.

            regards, tom lane