Fossology Install & Config Issues...

From
"Kurt Schroeder"
Date:
I am attempting to install the Fossology OSS license analysis software on a server running Ubuntu Linux and PostgreSQL. I have gotten to the point where I am at the final install command, and I get an error on a "dbcheck" program that says:

# Checking database connectivity
ERROR: Unable to connect to the database
  Connection string: 'dbname=fossology host=localhost user=fossy password=fossy'
  Connection status: '1'
ERROR: Failed to open database
ERROR: Database not configured.
  Check /usr/local/share/fossology/dbconnect/fossology then re-run the install.

When I cat the file it looks like:

dbname=fossology;
host=localhost;
user=fossy;
password=fossy;

No where in the instructions has it asked me to "configure" the DB except for a few config files that I had to alter:

I changed the  /etc/postgresql/8.1/main/pg_hba.conf file to read:

#local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
local   all         all                               trust

Then I restarted the server with the command: /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 restart
It restarted fine.
Then tried to run the ./install.sh -f again
And I got the same "Database not configured" error again.

Other info that might be relevant:

/etc/passwd contains the following new entries:

fosstest:x:1000:1000:fosstest,,,:/home/fosstest:/bin/bash <= main system user
postgres:x:109:120:PostgreSQL administrator,,,:/var/lib/postgresql:/bin/bash
fossy:x:1001:1001:FOSSology:/srv/fossology:/bin/bash (used to be /bin/false but I changed it to /bin/bash in the hopes that it would work)  <= password is fossy

Thanks in advance for your help. Detailed config info can be provided to anyone wishing to help me. Thank you!

--
Kurt Schroeder
kschroe@gmail.com

Re: Fossology Install & Config Issues...

From
brian
Date:
Kurt Schroeder wrote:
> I am attempting to install the Fossology <http://fossology.org/> OSS license
> analysis software on a server running Ubuntu Linux and PostgreSQL. I have
> gotten to the point where I am at the final install command, and I get an
> error on a "dbcheck" program that says:
>
> # Checking database connectivity
> ERROR: Unable to connect to the database
>   Connection string: 'dbname=fossology host=localhost user=fossy
> password=fossy'
>   Connection status: '1'
> ERROR: Failed to open database
> ERROR: Database not configured.
>   Check /usr/local/share/fossology/dbconnect/fossology then re-run the
> install.
>
> When I cat the file it looks like:
>
> dbname=fossology;
> host=localhost;
> user=fossy;
> password=fossy;
>
> No where in the instructions has it asked me to "configure" the DB except
> for a few config files that I had to alter:
>
> I changed the  /etc/postgresql/8.1/main/pg_hba.conf file to read:
>
> #local   all         postgres                          ident sameuser
> local   all         all                               trust
>
> Then I restarted the server with the command: /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1restart
> It restarted fine.
> Then tried to run the ./install.sh -f again
> And I got the same "Database not configured" error again.
>
> Other info that might be relevant:
>
> /etc/passwd contains the following new entries:
>
> fosstest:x:1000:1000:fosstest,,,:/home/fosstest:/bin/bash <= main system
> user
> postgres:x:109:120:PostgreSQL administrator,,,:/var/lib/postgresql:/bin/bash
> fossy:x:1001:1001:FOSSology:/srv/fossology:/bin/bash (used to be /bin/false
> but I changed it to /bin/bash in the hopes that it would work)  <= password
> is fossy
>
> Thanks in advance for your help. Detailed config info can be provided to
> anyone wishing to help me. Thank you!

Can you connect to the database with psql?

Re: Fossology Install & Config Issues...

From
"Kurt Schroeder"
Date:
Yes, I can:

root@ubuntu:/home/sandy# psql -d fossology -U fossy
Password for user fossy:
Welcome to psql 8.1.10, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

fossology=> \q

Date:
"Kurt Schroeder" <kschroe@gmail.com> writes:
> On Feb 6, 2008 2:18 PM, brian <brian@zijn-digital.com> wrote:
>> Can you connect to the database with psql?

> Yes, I can:
> root@ubuntu:/home/sandy# psql -d fossology -U fossy

But does it work with -h localhost, which is also implied by your
connection parameters?  I suspect you don't have the server configured
to listen for TCP connections, or else that there's a firewall problem.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
Kurt Schroeder wrote:
> Yes, I can:
>
> root@ubuntu:/home/sandy# psql -d fossology -U fossy
> Password for user fossy:
> Welcome to psql 8.1.10, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help with psql commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
> fossology=> \q

Connect to fossology as a regular user and do:

CREATE ROLE fossy WITH OPTION CREATEDB LOGIN password fossy

if you haven't already.

brian

Re: Fossology Install & Config Issues...

From
"Kurt Schroeder"
psql: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "127.0.0.1", user "fossy", database "fossology", SSL off

I will work on resolving this. Thank you!!!

- Kurt

On Feb 6, 2008 5:25 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Kurt Schroeder" <kschroe@gmail.com> writes:
> On Feb 6, 2008 2:18 PM, brian <brian@zijn-digital.com> wrote:
>> Can you connect to the database with psql?

> Yes, I can:
> root@ubuntu:/home/sandy# psql -d fossology -U fossy

But does it work with -h localhost, which is also implied by your
connection parameters?  I suspect you don't have the server configured
to listen for TCP connections, or else that there's a firewall problem.

Kurt Schroeder
kschroe@gmail.com
http://kurtandsandy.blogspot.com

Re: Fossology Install & Config Issues...

From
"Kurt Schroeder"
Date:
Still failing. Here's what I did:

1. Edited the pg_hba.conf file and added the line:

host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust

fossy@fosstest:/etc/postgresql/8.1/main$ psql -d fossology -U fossy -h localhost
Welcome to psql 8.1.10, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

SSL connection (cipher: DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA, bits: 256)

2. Restarted PostgreSQL...

3. Ran the dbcheck command and received the same error:

root@fosstest:/fossology/fossology-0.6.0# ./install/usr/local/fossology/test.d/dbcheck
ERROR: Unable to connect to the database
  Connection string: 'dbname=fossology local=localhost user=fossy password=fossy'
  Connection status: '1'
ERROR: Failed to open database

Arrgh.

psql: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "127.0.0.1", user "fossy", database "fossology", SSL off

I will work on resolving this. Thank you!!!

- Kurt

On Feb 6, 2008 5:25 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Kurt Schroeder" <kschroe@gmail.com> writes:
> On Feb 6, 2008 2:18 PM, brian <brian@zijn-digital.com> wrote:
>> Can you connect to the database with psql?

> Yes, I can:
> root@ubuntu:/home/sandy# psql -d fossology -U fossy

But does it work with -h localhost, which is also implied by your
connection parameters?  I suspect you don't have the server configured
to listen for TCP connections, or else that there's a firewall problem.

Kurt Schroeder
kschroe@gmail.com
http://kurtandsandy.blogspot.com

--
Kurt Schroeder
kschroe@gmail.com
http://kurtandsandy.blogspot.com

Re: Fossology Install & Config Issues...

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Kurt Schroeder escribió:

> 3. Ran the dbcheck command and received the same error:
>
> root@fosstest:/fossology/fossology-0.6.0#./install/usr/local/fossology/test.d/dbcheck
> ERROR: Unable to connect to the database
>   Connection string: 'dbname=fossology local=localhost user=fossy
> password=fossy'
>   Connection status: '1'
> ERROR: Failed to open database

Weird.  Are you sure you are connecting to the same postmaster?  i.e.
are the port settings the same?

Re: Fossology Install & Config Issues...

Date:
"Kurt Schroeder" <kschroe@gmail.com> writes:
> root@fosstest:/fossology/fossology-0.6.0#./install/usr/local/fossology/test.d/dbcheck
> ERROR: Unable to connect to the database
>   Connection string: 'dbname=fossology local=localhost user=fossy
> password=fossy'
>   Connection status: '1'
> ERROR: Failed to open database

> Arrgh.

Man, that's one unhelpful error message, isn't it :-(

Have you tried looking in the postmaster log to see if the server is
reporting anything about the failed connection?  (Maybe turn on
log_connections just to be sure that it should log something.)

If there is nothing in the postmaster log, that suggests that the
fossology connection isn't going where you think it's going.  You
might have to resort to strace'ing fossology to see where it's
trying to connect to.

            regards, tom lane