PGCon vs Postgresql Conference

From
Sim Zacks
Date:
Is there any real difference between PGCon and Postgresql Conference
East/West or is it the same idea in different places?

My question is actually which people should go to which conference?

Thank you
Sim

Re: PGCon vs Postgresql Conference

Sim Zacks wrote:
> Is there any real difference between PGCon and Postgresql Conference
> East/West or is it the same idea in different places?
>
> My question is actually which people should go to which conference?

They are different conferences.  I think PGCon is more for backend
developers, while Postgresql Conference East/West are more end-user
conferences.

Re: PGCon vs Postgresql Conference

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: PGCon vs Postgresql Conference

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Jan 29, 2008 12:22 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Sim Zacks wrote:
> > Is there any real difference between PGCon and Postgresql Conference
> > East/West or is it the same idea in different places?
> >
> > My question is actually which people should go to which conference?
>
> They are different conferences.  I think PGCon is more for backend
> developers, while Postgresql Conference East/West are more end-user
> conferences.

I appreciate the compliment :)  We definitely are inviting end-users
to our conference.  But they'll be right along-side core contributors,
and whip-smart developers.

I'll just echo what JD said -- our queue of talks includes both very
practical, tutorial-style talks, and more traditional
developer-oriented talks.

We've only got a few more days before we announce the selections on
February 11th!

For those of you thinking about proposing talks, submissions close on
February 3rd. Get 'em in now!!

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group

Date:
> Anyway my suggestion to Sim is to read about each conference on the
> respective conference websites:
>
> http://www.postgresqlconference.org/why/
> http://www.pgcon.org/2008/

I read those, I was just confused as to why there were 2 conferences on the same
topics one right after the other.
Someone mentioned that one is commercial and the other is not-for-profit, so
someone might define PGCon as proprietary and say the postgresqlconference is
open source, but that would start a flame war and would be inappropriate being
that both of them are supporting open source software, and nobody is against
making a profit (except Communists, and they're not against profit as long as
the guy who worked hard to earn it doesn't get to keep it).

In any case, I wanted to go to one of them, but I can't because one is on the
weekend, which I can't attend, and the other ends late Friday afternoon, which
is bad for me (but I'll have to wait until the schedule and costs are posted
before I'll know for sure).

Sim Zacks wrote:
>> Anyway my suggestion to Sim is to read about each conference on the
>> respective conference websites:
>>
>> http://www.postgresqlconference.org/why/
>> http://www.pgcon.org/2008/
>>
> I read those, I was just confused as to why there were 2 conferences on
> the same topics one right after the other.

Because there are two different entities organizing them. Just like
there are 50 different Linux conferences around the world :).

> Someone mentioned that one is commercial and the other is
> not-for-profit, so someone might define PGCon as proprietary and say the
> postgresqlconference is open source, but that would start a flame war
> and would be inappropriate being that both of them are supporting open

Hmm I don't know that is appropriate actually. Commercial can certainly
benefit Open Source if direct ways. Look at CMD or EDB. PgCon has that
option should it choose to as well.

A more key difference is that the non-for-profit PostgreSQL Conference
series submits 100% of its proceeds to PostgreSQL via SPI.

> source software, and nobody is against making a profit

Of course not. I love profit :).

> (except
> Communists, and they're not against profit as long as the guy who worked
> hard to earn it doesn't get to keep it).

Ehh, not going to bite on this one. It sounds a bit trollish.

> In any case, I wanted to go to one of them, but I can't because one is
> on the weekend, which I can't attend, and the other ends late Friday
> afternoon, which is bad for me (but I'll have to wait until the schedule
> and costs are posted before I'll know for sure).

There is always PGday in July and August, plus West in October.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: PGCon vs Postgresql Conference

From
Erik Jones
Date:
On Jan 30, 2008, at 12:18 AM, Sim Zacks wrote:

>> Anyway my suggestion to Sim is to read about each conference on the
>> respective conference websites:
>> http://www.postgresqlconference.org/why/
>> http://www.pgcon.org/2008/
> I read those, I was just confused as to why there were 2
> conferences on the same topics one right after the other.
> Someone mentioned that one is commercial and the other is not-for-
> profit, so someone might define PGCon as proprietary and say the
> postgresqlconference is open source, but that would start a flame
> war and would be inappropriate being that both of them are
> supporting open source software, and nobody is against making a
> profit (except Communists, and they're not against profit as long
> as the guy who worked hard to earn it doesn't get to keep it).

So, at which should one wear red?

Erik Jones

DBA | Emma®
erik@myemma.com