CPU

From
Tom Allison
Date:
is there much of a difference in performance between a XEON, dual
core from intel and a dual core AMD 64 CPU?

I need a bit of an upgrade and am not sure which, if any, have a
significant advantage for postgres databases.

Re: CPU

From
"Uwe C. Schroeder"
Date:
On Monday 03 December 2007, Tom Allison wrote:
> is there much of a difference in performance between a XEON, dual
> core from intel and a dual core AMD 64 CPU?
>
> I need a bit of an upgrade and am not sure which, if any, have a
> significant advantage for postgres databases.

Personally I've never seen postgresql suck majorly on CPU performance. I guess
the biggest speed increase lies in ultra fast I/O, i.e. high spinning disks
and battery backed hardware RAID. Databases tend to suck more on I/O than
processor unless you do a lot fo sorting, distinct selects etc.
Multi or single processor is just a matter of how many clients connect. AFAIK
postgresql is not really multi-threaded, but runs each connection (master
process) on one processor at a time. So if you have a quad core (or 4
processor machine), you'll have 4 postmasters "processing" any given time -
the bottleneck again is I/O because usually all processors share the same
ressources (memory and disks).

So basically I would invest in fast I/O and would care less about the
processors. More memory at hand may also be beneficial.

    U.C.

Re: CPU

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Uwe C. Schroeder wrote:
> On Monday 03 December 2007, Tom Allison wrote:
>> is there much of a difference in performance between a XEON, dual
>> core from intel and a dual core AMD 64 CPU?

Well honestly, with how cheap you can get a quad core from Intel... I
say do that :). The general difference between a dual core opteron and a
dual core xeon will likely not be noticeable to a PostgreSQL
installation (generally speaking).

However, the two extra cores (even if slower), will greatly help if you
have any kind of concurrency.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: CPU

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

Re: CPU

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 6: explain analyze is your
> friend

- --

            UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: CPU

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Well honestly, with how cheap you can get a quad core from Intel... I
> say do that

Exactly, the budget single processor configuration to beat in server land
right now is the Xeon X3210.  The frequency of the cores is a little on
the low side, so individual queries won't run quite as fast as some of the
dual-core alternatives, but when you get twice as many of them it's hard
to complain.  The X3220 is a little faster and more expensive.

Re: CPU

From
"Harald Armin Massa"
Date:
Josh,

However, the two extra cores (even if slower), will greatly help if you
have any kind of concurrency.

as much as I understand with running Postgres in the default configuration, there *will* be concurrency, without an "if" ?

I am thinking of the background writer, the autovacuum process, the log writer and finally the connection serving process.  ... quite sure of that "default concurrency" because I had to explain those basic 5 postgres.exe to at least 8 Windows Admins...

My non-benchmarked experience is that "multicore and postgres good" (experience mainly drawn from windows)

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare