client_encoding error

From
Glyn Astill
Date:
Whilst trying to migrate one of our tables to postgres we get the
following error:

invalid byte sequence for encoding "EUC_JP"
: 0x9c32
HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match
the enccding expected by the server, which is cont
                  rolled by "client_encoding".

Does anyone have any idea why this might be? The data cing into the
table should be plain ASCII

Glyn Astill

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/environment.html

Re: client_encoding error

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
Glyn Astill wrote:
> Whilst trying to migrate one of our tables to postgres we get the
> following error:
>
> invalid byte sequence for encoding "EUC_JP" : 0x9c32
> HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match
> the enccding expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this might be? The data cing into the
> table should be plain ASCII

It means that there is a string in your data which is incorrect
in your client encoding, which is EUC_JP.

You can only enter correctly encoded strings, everything else
will produce an error.

Your data is not plain ASCII, because the byte 0x9c is not
(0x9c > 0x7f).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe