XML schema

From
"Sean Davis"
Date:
Sorry for the cross-post, but I wasn't sure where this should go.  I
have a large XML file (about 7.5Gb) that is composed of about 17
million individual records.  I have successfully loaded these records
as individual XML records into a table with 17M rows.  However, I
looked around a bit and noticed that there are at least a couple of
XML schemas that have been available in the past (but don't look like
they are currently maintained) that enable XPATH queries directly on
the schema.  Is the current XML datatype (in 8.3) the direction of the
future, or is something more akin to a dedicated XML schema (I think
this is the route that Oracle has gone) going to be important?

Thanks,
Sean

Re: XML schema

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Sean Davis wrote:
> Is the current XML datatype (in 8.3) the direction of the
> future, or is something more akin to a dedicated XML schema (I think
> this is the route that Oracle has gone) going to be important?

An XML schema is a specification that describes required properties of an XML
document.  How do you imagine that affecting PostgreSQL database system
operations?

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: XML schema

From
"Sean Davis"
Date:
On Nov 15, 2007 6:20 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Sean Davis wrote:
> > Is the current XML datatype (in 8.3) the direction of the
> > future, or is something more akin to a dedicated XML schema (I think
> > this is the route that Oracle has gone) going to be important?
>
> An XML schema is a specification that describes required properties of an XML
> document.  How do you imagine that affecting PostgreSQL database system
> operations?

Thanks, Peter.

An unfortunate choice of words on my part.  I meant a schema that
represents a general mapping between XML and a relational schema.  In
other words, I am looking for tools that use postgresql as the storage
engine for a native XML database.  Examples are given here:

http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLDatabaseProds.htm#native

Sean

Re: XML schema

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Sean Davis wrote:
> I meant a schema that
> represents a general mapping between XML and a relational schema.  In
> other words, I am looking for tools that use postgresql as the storage
> engine for a native XML database.

There are ideas for that, but nothing to be expected any time soon.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: XML schema

From
"Sean Davis"
Date:
On Nov 16, 2007 2:14 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Sean Davis wrote:
> > I meant a schema that
> > represents a general mapping between XML and a relational schema. In
> > other words, I am looking for tools that use postgresql as the storage
> > engine for a native XML database.
>
> There are ideas for that, but nothing to be expected any time soon.

Thanks.  That is what I suspected, but just wanted to make sure I
wasn't missing something important.

Sean