FreeBSD portupgrade of 8.1 -> 8.2

From
Steve Manes
Date:
I've got 8.1 running fine.  I want to upgrade to 8.2.  Problem is,
FreeBSD's portupgrade utility only wants to upgrade my existing 8.1
installation.

So I grabbed the latest ports collection, which includes
postgresql82-client and postgresql82-server.  Running 'make install' on
postgresql82-client gives me:

===>  Installing for postgresql-client-8.2.5_1

===>  postgresql-client-8.2.5_1 conflicts with installed package(s):
       postgresql-client-8.1.10

       They install files into the same place.
       Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

So I ran: pkg_delete postgresql-client-8.1.10

... and got this error:

pkg_delete: package 'postgresql-client-8.1.10' is required by these
other packages
and may not be deinstalled:
dovecot-1.0.0
kde-3.5.6_1
koffice-1.6.2_3,2
php5-extensions-1.1
php5-pgsql-5.2.3
postgresql-libpqxx-2.6.9
postgresql-plperl-8.1.9
postgresql-server-8.1.10_2

I seem to have hit a brick wall.  I tried installing postgresql82-server
first but it wouldn't do that without the 8.2 client library installed.

What's the portupgrade process in FreeBSD??

Re: FreeBSD portupgrade of 8.1 -> 8.2

From
Steve Manes
Date:
Steve Manes wrote:
> What's the portupgrade process in FreeBSD??

(Fixed.  The answer is to use pg_delete -f on the old package to force
the delete)

Re: FreeBSD portupgrade of 8.1 -> 8.2

From
Decibel!
Date:
You can force the pkg_delete with -f (or maybe -F). You'll want to
delete all the postgresql (ie: postgresql-*) packages as well, and
then re-install them after you install 8.2.

--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Re: FreeBSD portupgrade of 8.1 -> 8.2

From
Vivek Khera
Date:
On Nov 12, 2007, at 8:55 PM, Steve Manes wrote:

> Steve Manes wrote:
>> What's the portupgrade process in FreeBSD??
>
> (Fixed.  The answer is to use pg_delete -f on the old package to
> force the delete)

more elegantly,

portupgrade -Rrv -f -o databases/postgresql82-client postgresql-client

but you have to account for having to do the dump/restore in there
manually.  This will also force-upgrade all software depending on the
postgresql-client port (of which the server is one).