Re : pg_dump SERIAL and SEQUENCE

From
Laurent ROCHE
Date:
Yep, of course but what's the situation for people using 8.1 and pg_dump that does not generate code with SERIAL ?

Have fun,
L@u
The Computing Froggy

----- Message d'origine ----
De : Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net>
À : pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Envoyé le : Jeudi, 18 Octobre 2007, 20h02mn 47s
Objet : Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump SERIAL and SEQUENCE

Read this message: <28684.1192378480@sss.pgh.pa.us>

,----[  quote Tom Lane  ]
| In 8.2 and up you can use ALTER SEQUENCE ... OWNED BY ... to establish
`----

You see the difference?

Regards, Andreas
unintentional side effect.                              (Linus Torvalds)
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe.              N 51.05082°, E 13.56889°

              http://archives.postgresql.org/

Re: Re : pg_dump SERIAL and SEQUENCE

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Laurent ROCHE wrote:
> Yep, of course but what's the situation for people using 8.1 and
> pg_dump that does not generate code with SERIAL ?

They grab 8.2's pg_dump and connect with it to their 8.1 server, to
generate a dump that does.

Re: Re : pg_dump SERIAL and SEQUENCE

Date:
> Laurent ROCHE wrote:
>> Yep, of course but what's the situation for people using 8.1 and
>> pg_dump that does not generate code with SERIAL ?

> They grab 8.2's pg_dump and connect with it to their 8.1 server, to
> generate a dump that does.

Actually, I bet the OP's problem is exactly that he did that already.
8.1 pg_dump *will* generate a SERIAL column definition, if it sees
that the table being dumped was made that way.  8.2 prefers the OWNED BY
route (for good reasons btw).

            regards, tom lane