running postgres

From
"Ken Johansson"
Date:
and i though PostgreSQL would be easier to get up and running than SQL server............

--
Ken

Re: running postgres

From
brian
Date:
Ken Johansson wrote:
> and i though PostgreSQL would be easier to get up and running than SQL
> server............

Question? Complaint? Thinking out loud? Lyrics to a song? We're all
standing by, Ken!

Re: running postgres

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On 10/18/07, Ken Johansson <kjohansson@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:
> and i though PostgreSQL would be easier to get up and running than SQL
> server............

I sincerely hope you don't consider that the sole criteria for
choosing databases.

Personally, I found it quite easy.

apt-get install postgresqlp8.2
sudo /etc/init.d/postgres-8.2 start
sudo su - postgres
psql

4 whole steps.  I must be forgetting something there.

Re: running postgres

From
"Ken Johansson"
Date:
Hello,

Sorry everyone for the stupid rant.  Wont happen again.  And thanks for offer assistance.  I seem to have it running and once i have a valid question ill post it.

Sorry again..

Ken

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

--
Ken

Re: running postgres

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On 10/18/07, Ken Johansson <kjohansson@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry everyone for the stupid rant.  Wont happen again.  And thanks for
> offer assistance.  I seem to have it running and once i have a valid
> question ill post it.

Don't worry about it.  We've all had to cut our teeth sometime.  And
don't worry, it shouldn't take long before something truly puzzling
has you back on the lists.

Re: running postgres

From
brian
Date:
Ken Johansson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry everyone for the stupid rant.  Wont happen again.  And thanks for
> offer assistance.  I seem to have it running and once i have a valid
> question ill post it.
>
> Sorry again..
>
> Ken

We'll put it down as "thinking out loud" then. It happens. ;-)

brian

Re: running postgres

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On 10/18/07, Ken Johansson <kjohansson@alumni.sfu.ca> wrote:
>> and i though PostgreSQL would be easier to get up and running than SQL
>> server............
>
> I sincerely hope you don't consider that the sole criteria for
> choosing databases.

I don't know - it's put me off MS-SQL in a big way.

Not only don't they have an apt repository for Debian, they don't even
have compile instructions on their site - gcc is throwing up all sorts
of errors. Maybe I'll try on intel rather than ppc...

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: running postgres

From
Jorge Godoy
Date:
Em Thursday 18 October 2007 14:57:27 brian escreveu:
> Ken Johansson wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Sorry everyone for the stupid rant.  Wont happen again.  And thanks for
> > offer assistance.  I seem to have it running and once i have a valid
> > question ill post it.
> >
> > Sorry again..
> >
> > Ken
>
> We'll put it down as "thinking out loud" then. It happens. ;-)

OK...  But was it harder or easier than MS SQL Server? :-)

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>

Re: running postgres

From
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Date:
On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 10:50:02AM -0500,
 Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 18 lines which said:

> Personally, I found it quite easy.
>
> apt-get install postgresqlp8.2
> sudo /etc/init.d/postgres-8.2 start
> sudo su - postgres
> psql
>
> 4 whole steps.

Although I regard PostgreSQL as quite simple and easy to use (I find
it easier than MySQL, for instance), your oversimplication won't help
the potential users to evalute PostgreSQL. For instance, I typically
spend a lot of time in step 5, editing pg_hba.conf and struggling to
obtain the desired effect.

Also, on non-Debian platforms, step 1 can be more complicated if I
want other languages (I use Python a lot in my stored procedures).