Inconsistence in transaction isolation docs

From
Nico Sabbi
/From:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/transaction-iso.html

"
Read Committed/ is the default isolation level in PostgreSQL. When a
transaction runs on this isolation level, a SELECT query sees only data
committed before the query began; it never sees either uncommitted data
or changes committed during query execution by concurrent transactions.
(However, the SELECT does see the effects of previous updates executed
within its own transaction, even though they are not yet committed.) In
effect, a SELECT query sees a snapshot of the database as of the instant
that that query begins to run. Notice that two successive SELECT
commands can see different data, even though they are within a single
transaction, if other transactions commit changes during execution of
the first SELECT.
"

to me the above sentence sounds inconsistent: it's asserting that both
1) and 2) apply:

1) it never sees ... changes committed during query execution by
concurrent transactions

2) Notice that two successive SELECT commands can see different data,
even though they
are within a single transaction, if other transactions commit changes
during execution
of the first SELECT

Can anyone explain, please?

Re: Inconsistence in transaction isolation docs

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2007 schrieb Nico Sabbi:
> to me the above sentence sounds inconsistent: it's asserting that both
> 1) and 2) apply:
>
> 1) it never sees ... changes committed during query execution by
> concurrent transactions

What this is supposed to mean is that you don't see changes while your own
query runs.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Inconsistence in transaction isolation docs

From
"Trevor Talbot"
Date:
On 10/16/07, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi@officinedigitali.it> wrote:
> /From:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/transaction-iso.html
>
> "
> Read Committed/ is the default isolation level in PostgreSQL. When a
> transaction runs on this isolation level, a SELECT query sees only data
> committed before the query began; it never sees either uncommitted data
> or changes committed during query execution by concurrent transactions.
> (However, the SELECT does see the effects of previous updates executed
> within its own transaction, even though they are not yet committed.) In
> effect, a SELECT query sees a snapshot of the database as of the instant
> that that query begins to run. Notice that two successive SELECT
> commands can see different data, even though they are within a single
> transaction, if other transactions commit changes during execution of
> the first SELECT.
> "
>
> to me the above sentence sounds inconsistent: it's asserting that both
> 1) and 2) apply:
>
> 1) it never sees ... changes committed during query execution by
> concurrent transactions

During *query* execution.  If you start a SELECT that runs through a
table from beginning to end, and while it is running some other
transaction quickly commits a row to the end, this SELECT will not see
it when it gets there.

> 2) Notice that two successive SELECT commands can see different data,
> even though they
> are within a single transaction, if other transactions commit changes
> during execution
> of the first SELECT

Within a single *transaction*.  If you run the above SELECT again, it
will see the newly added row.

Re: Inconsistence in transaction isolation docs

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

On 10/16/07 07:08, Trevor Talbot wrote:
> On 10/16/07, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi@officinedigitali.it> wrote:
>> /From:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/transaction-iso.html
>>
>> "
>> Read Committed/ is the default isolation level in PostgreSQL. When a
>> transaction runs on this isolation level, a SELECT query sees only data
>> committed before the query began; it never sees either uncommitted data
>> or changes committed during query execution by concurrent transactions.
>> (However, the SELECT does see the effects of previous updates executed
>> within its own transaction, even though they are not yet committed.) In
>> effect, a SELECT query sees a snapshot of the database as of the instant
>> that that query begins to run. Notice that two successive SELECT
>> commands can see different data, even though they are within a single
>> transaction, if other transactions commit changes during execution of
>> the first SELECT.
>> "
>>
>> to me the above sentence sounds inconsistent: it's asserting that both
>> 1) and 2) apply:
>>
>> 1) it never sees ... changes committed during query execution by
>> concurrent transactions
>
> During *query* execution.  If you start a SELECT that runs through a
> table from beginning to end, and while it is running some other
> transaction quickly commits a row to the end, this SELECT will not see
> it when it gets there.
>
>> 2) Notice that two successive SELECT commands can see different data,
>> even though they
>> are within a single transaction, if other transactions commit changes
>> during execution
>> of the first SELECT
>
> Within a single *transaction*.  If you run the above SELECT again, it
> will see the newly added row.

And this is the big difference between READ COMMITTED and
SERIALIZABLE.  With the latter, inside a single transaction the same
query will return the same result set over and over again regardless
of the updates to the base tables.

And is why READ COMMITTED makes your RDBMS fail part 3 (Isolation)
of the "ACID test".

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Re: Inconsistence in transaction isolation docs

From
"Albe Laurenz"
Date:
Nico Sabbi wrote:
> /From:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/transaction-iso.html
>
> "
> Read Committed/ [...]
>
> to me the above sentence sounds inconsistent: it's
> asserting that both 1) and 2) apply:
>
> 1) it never sees ... changes committed during query
> execution by concurrent transactions
>
> 2) Notice that two successive SELECT commands can see
> different data, even though they are within a single
> transaction, if other transactions commit changes
> during execution of the first SELECT
>
> Can anyone explain, please?

1) means: as long as the first SELECT runs ("during
query execution"), you won't see changes made by
another transaction.

2) means: when you run a second SELECT, that SELECT
will see changes made by other transactions, even if
both SELECTs are in one (read commited) transaction.

That doesn't sound contradictory to me.
There is a difference between "during query execution"
and "within a single transaction", maybe that is where
your problem comes from.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Date:
Albe Laurenz ha scritto:
> Nico Sabbi wrote:
>
>> /From:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/transaction-iso.html
>>
>> "
>> Read Committed/ [...]
>>
>> to me the above sentence sounds inconsistent: it's
>> asserting that both 1) and 2) apply:
>>
>> 1) it never sees ... changes committed during query
>> execution by concurrent transactions
>>
>> 2) Notice that two successive SELECT commands can see
>> different data, even though they are within a single
>> transaction, if other transactions commit changes
>> during execution of the first SELECT
>>
>> Can anyone explain, please?
>>

> 1) means: as long as the first SELECT runs ("during
> query execution"), you won't see changes made by
> another transaction.
>
> 2) means: when you run a second SELECT, that SELECT
> will see changes made by other transactions, even if
> both SELECTs are in one (read commited) transaction.
>
> That doesn't sound contradictory to me.
> There is a difference between "during query execution"
> and "within a single transaction", maybe that is where
> your problem comes from.
>
> Yours,
> Laurenz Albe

well, I know how read committed behaves, but
I don't see why should anyone expect an update of the resultset
of the currently executing query after a commit by a different
transaction.
Thanks everybody who replied,
    Nico

Date:
On 10/16/07, Nico Sabbi <nsabbi@officinedigitali.it> wrote:

> well, I know how read committed behaves, but
> I don't see why should anyone expect an update of the resultset
> of the currently executing query after a commit by a different
> transaction.

A currently executing UPDATE will see changes made to matching rows.