pg_dumping large objects

From
"Morris Goldstein"
Date:
pg_dump --help says:

    -b, --blobs     include large objects in dump

What is the definition of "large object"? Is it a certain set of types
(e.g. text)? Long values stored in these types? What qualifies as
long? In general, how can I tell if I need the -b flag (postgres 7.4).

Morris Goldstein

Re: pg_dumping large objects

From
Erik Jones
Date:
On Sep 24, 2007, at 12:48 PM, Morris Goldstein wrote:

> pg_dump --help says:
>
>     -b, --blobs     include large objects in dump
>
> What is the definition of "large object"? Is it a certain set of types
> (e.g. text)? Long values stored in these types? What qualifies as
> long? In general, how can I tell if I need the -b flag (postgres 7.4).

The short answer is that if you don't know, you don't need it.  The
longer answer is that large objects are a specialized data type that
allows you store values/datum up to 2GB in size whereas the normal,
behind the scenes TOAST mechanism only handles up to 1GB values.  So,
they are not specialized versions of any other data type, they are
their own, separate data type.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/largeobjects.html

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888
615.292.0777 (fax)

Re: pg_dumping large objects

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Morris Goldstein escribió:
> pg_dump --help says:
>
>     -b, --blobs     include large objects in dump
>
> What is the definition of "large object"?

The kind you create with lo_open(), etc.  If you don't do that, you
don't need it.

--
Alvaro Herrera                        http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"XML!" Exclaimed C++.  "What are you doing here? You're not a programming

Re: pg_dumping large objects

From
David Wall
Date:
Large objects are defined in the DDL as type 'OID'.  Those with various drivers may not know the lo_* calls are being used, since in Java this takes place if you use the SQL BLOB type in JDBC and the field itself is defined as 'OID'.

David