Suggestion for new function on pg_catalog: get_config()

From
"Luiz K. Matsumura"
Date:
Hi all,

I want to suggest a inclusion of an new function on the pg_catalog.
Since we have set_config(text, text, boolean)
can we have an get_config( text ) ?

I research and find an internal function that do it, we only don't have
an call for it.
I think that can be like bellow (I don't know if the function can be
STATIC or strict)

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_config(text)
  RETURNS SETOF text AS
'show_config_by_name'
  LANGUAGE 'internal' VOLATILE;

TIA.

--
Luiz K. Matsumura
Plan IT Tecnologia Informática Ltda.

Re: Suggestion for new function on pg_catalog: get_config()

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Luiz K. Matsumura wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to suggest a inclusion of an new function on the pg_catalog.
> Since we have set_config(text, text, boolean)
> can we have an get_config( text ) ?

Hum, isn't this current_setting()?

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 49' 18.1", W 73º 13' 56.4"
"Coge la flor que hoy nace alegre, ufana. ¿Quién sabe si nacera otra mañana?"

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Luiz K. Matsumura wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I want to suggest a inclusion of an new function on the pg_catalog.
>> Since we have set_config(text, text, boolean)
>> can we have an get_config( text ) ?
>>

> Hum, isn't this current_setting()?

Oh oh, you are right, forget my suggestion... :-[
I'm lost in the ocean of functions of pg_catalog. lol

By the way,

select setting AS default_tablespace from pg_show_all_settings() x(name
text, setting text, unit text, category text, short_desc text,
extra_desc text, context text, vartype text, source text, min_val text,
max_val text) where name = 'default_tablespace'

and

select current_setting('default_tablespace' )

can be considered equivalent ?

I'm just researching on a bug that i found in the new pgadmin3 and if
this is equivalent i will suggest to pgadmin team to use it...

TIA

--

Date:
Luiz K. Matsumura wrote:

> By the way,
>
> select setting AS default_tablespace from pg_show_all_settings() x(name
> text, setting text, unit text, category text, short_desc text, extra_desc
> text, context text, vartype text, source text, min_val text, max_val text)
> where name = 'default_tablespace'
>
> and
>
> select current_setting('default_tablespace' )
>
> can be considered equivalent ?

Probably.  Also try
select * from pg_settings;

--
Alvaro Herrera                          Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org/
"Industry suffers from the managerial dogma that for the sake of stability