Export data to MS Excel

From
"Ashish Karalkar"
Date:
Hello All,
I want to export data from PostgreSQL tables to MS Excel.
Is there any way?

Thanks in advance...

With Regrads
Ashish...

Re: Export data to MS Excel

From
"Phoenix Kiula"
Date:
On 01/09/07, Ashish Karalkar <ashish.karalkar@info-spectrum.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
> I want to export data from PostgreSQL tables to MS Excel.
> Is there any way?

Sure, write SQL in a program (php, perl, jsp, asp) to dump the tables
program into Excel from Tools --> Data Sources. Once you save the xls
file, you can always just refresh the data because it already points
to your program.

I guess there must be other ways, but this one works fine for me.
Excel has a limit of 65,700 rows (or thereabouts) so it's not a huge
deal for a db like pgsql.

Re: Export data to MS Excel

From
Ron Johnson
Date:

Re: Export data to MS Excel

From
Björn Lundin
Date:
Ashish Karalkar wrote:

> Hello All,
> I want to export data from PostgreSQL tables to MS Excel.
> Is there any way?

ODBC is one way to do it.
Use the data import, that runs msquery

--
/Björn
b.f.lundin@gmail.com

Re: Export data to MS Excel

From
"Bill Bartlett"
Date:
For quick/simple table format reports, you can just use psql to create
the output in HTML format, then import that directly into Excel.  For
example, I use the following psql line to generate an HTML-format report
of server IP information; this file can then be directly opened in
Excel.  (Excel 2002 and later will open and parse most HTML format files
without even needing to import them -- just open the file.)

   psql -H -P tableattr='cellspacing=0 cellpadding=6' -P title='Server
IP Information' -f get_server_ip_info.sql -o get_server_ip_info.html

Alternatively, you can bury the formatting commands in the SQL file
itself -- this is handy if the formatting is longer or doesn't change,
or you want different formats or titles for different reports.  For
example:

 list_of_unsigned_images_report.sql:
     \pset format html
     \pset title 'List of Unsigned Images'
     \pset tableattr 'cellspacing=0 cellpadding=6'
     SELECT p.last_name, p.first_name, [blah blah blah]...

- Bill

Re: Export data to MS Excel

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
--- Ashish Karalkar <ashish.karalkar@info-spectrum.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
> I want to export data from PostgreSQL tables to MS Excel.
> Is there any way?

Excel has the ability to directly pull data from any system ODBC DSN configured on the windows
box.   Was is nice with this method is the ability for the users to "Refresh" the exported data
directly from excel using the build in functionality of excel.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/psqlodbc/
http://www.sls.psi.ch/controls/help/tutorials/Excel_ODBC/index.html

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Re: Export data to MS Excel

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On Saturday 01 September 2007 12:16 am, Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> Hello All,
> I want to export data from PostgreSQL tables to MS Excel.
> Is there any way?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> With Regrads
> Ashish...
One relatively easy way to do it is to use the Base component of OpenOffice.
You can dump data directly from a table to a spreadsheet. Just save as *.xls.
--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net