How I can know a back up database is up to date

From
son@raider.co.nz
Date:
Hello

My database is restored from a dump file every day. How I know that this
database is up to date (as it has no timestamp in any table).

If I create a file, I can know when I created it by seeing its property.
How I can do the same thing with a back up database.

Ta.

Re: How I can know a back up database is up to date

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 09/08/2007 23:40, son@raider.co.nz wrote:

> My database is restored from a dump file every day. How I know that this
> database is up to date (as it has no timestamp in any table).
>
> If I create a file, I can know when I created it by seeing its property.
> How I can do the same thing with a back up database.

Do the backup from a shell script that names the output file with the
current date/time.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Timestamp in pg_dump output, was Re: How I can know a back up database is up to date

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 09/08/2007 23:40, son@raider.co.nz wrote:

> My database is restored from a dump file every day. How I know that this
> database is up to date (as it has no timestamp in any table).
>
> If I create a file, I can know when I created it by seeing its property.
> How I can do the same thing with a back up database.

Actually, it *would* be really handy if pg_dump included a timestamp in
the plain-text output. The version I use regularly (Windows)
doesn't...it simply says "PostgreSQL database dump" which is only
helpful to a point. :-)

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Timestamp in pg_dump output, was Re: How I can know a back up database is up to date

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
--- Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 09/08/2007 23:40, son@raider.co.nz wrote:
>
> > My database is restored from a dump file every day. How I know that this
> > database is up to date (as it has no timestamp in any table).
> >
> > If I create a file, I can know when I created it by seeing its property.
> > How I can do the same thing with a back up database.
>
> Actually, it *would* be really handy if pg_dump included a timestamp in
> the plain-text output. The version I use regularly (Windows)
> doesn't...it simply says "PostgreSQL database dump" which is only
> helpful to a point. :-)

If you need to, you can append your own timestamp to the dump file if you need it.

I rolled this functionality into a .bat file.

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

On 10/08/2007 18:40, Richard Broersma Jr wrote:

> If you need to, you can append your own timestamp to the dump file if you need it.

Heh heh, I just gave this same advice in reply to the post that prompted
this idea. :-)

Thanks,

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

"Raymond O'Donnell" <rod@iol.ie> writes:
> Actually, it *would* be really handy if pg_dump included a timestamp in
> the plain-text output.

Use the "verbose" option.

            regards, tom lane

On 10/08/2007 19:10, Tom Lane wrote: