timezone + DST handling

From
"A.M."
Date:
Hi,

I have a CMS where I display the timezone for international meeting
dates. I store the dates as follows:

startdate | timestamp with timezone
timezonename | text

This works fine until I hit daylight-savings time when the name of
the timezone changes. So, given a "timestamp with timezone" and a
base timezone (non-DST), how can I determine if the date is currently
in DST? Is it possible to get the name of the new DST timezone?

Thanks!

-M

Re: timezone + DST handling

Date:
"A.M." <amcauley@bluesocket.com> writes:
> This works fine until I hit daylight-savings time when the name of
> the timezone changes. So, given a "timestamp with timezone" and a
> base timezone (non-DST), how can I determine if the date is currently
> in DST? Is it possible to get the name of the new DST timezone?

If you are running PG 8.2, the data in the pg_timezone_names and
pg_timezone_abbrevs views might help you.

            regards, tom lane