Re: Restrict access

From
Adam Witney

On 2/8/07 13:35, in article
1186058130.245261.72800@l70g2000hse.googlegroups.com, "Michael Knudsen"
<micknudsen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have created a database and imported a lot of data. I would like to
> share this database with other people but they should not be able to
> change anything. That is, they should only be allowed to use the
> SELECT command.
>
> If I create a user, this user can access the database and see the
> names of all tables. I can now GRANT this user permission to use
> SELECT on all tables. Apparently, this seems to solve the problem.
> However, I have noticed that if people access the database using my
> username (i.e. by typing "psql foo -u" and the providing my username)
> they get full access. I have tried to disable this by "ALTER USER
> username WITH PASSWORD 'password'" but that doesn't help. You still
> don't need to supply any password.
>
> I have used Google for several hours with coming even near a solution
> so any help is appreaciated!

Take a look at the pg_hba.conf in the PGDATA directory, you probably have
the connection set to 'trust'... Which won't require a password from that
connection location/type. You will need to run a "pg_ctl reload" to make any
changes take effect

HTH

Adam

Re: Restrict access

From
Michael Knudsen
Date:
On Aug 2, 4:08 pm, Michael Knudsen <micknud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't find a file with that name. I am not using postgreSQL on my
> own computer, so the file may be hidden somewhere in a directory which
> I haven't got access to. Is there another way to get rid of 'trust'?

Finally, I have managed to find the file, and everything works
perfectly. Thanks!

--
Michael Knudsen

Re: Restrict access

From
Michael Knudsen
Date:
On Aug 2, 3:51 pm, Adam Witney <awit...@sgul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Take a look at the pg_hba.conf in the PGDATA directory, you probably have
> the connection set to 'trust'... Which won't require a password from that
> connection location/type. You will need to run a "pg_ctl reload" to make any
> changes take effect

I can't find a file with that name. I am not using postgreSQL on my
own computer, so the file may be hidden somewhere in a directory which
I haven't got access to. Is there another way to get rid of 'trust'?

--
Michael Knudsen

Re: Restrict access

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Michael Knudsen wrote:
> I can't find a file with that name. I am not using postgreSQL on my
> own computer, so the file may be hidden somewhere in a directory
> which I haven't got access to. Is there another way to get rid of
> 'trust'?

No.

--
Peter Eisentraut