Windows Vista not working

From
Richard Eng
Date:
I’m new to postgreSQL. I’m running Windows Vista Home Premium. I tried installing it (I had to turn off UAC), enabling user ‘postgres’ for running it as a Service. But I’m encountering some really bizarre problems...

First, every time I try ‘psql’ or ‘createdb’ in the command line, it says the password does not match user ‘richard’. I suppose this is because I’m logged in to Windows as ‘richard’. ‘richard’ is my Windows account (administrator) under which I installed postgreSQL.

BUT, I cannot login as ‘postgres’ because even though the installation created this user, it is not visible in the User Accounts of Control Panel! If I log off from ‘richard’, there is no way to login as ‘postgres’.

AND, I know the ‘postgres’ account is there somewhere because if I try to create it, it says the account already exists! So it exists but it’s not visible?! PostgreSQL installation has REALLY, REALLY screwed things up!

Does anyone know what the hell is going on??? Hasn’t anyone used postgreSQL under Vista?

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Windows Vista not working

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Richard Eng wrote:
>   I’m new to postgreSQL. I’m running Windows Vista Home Premium. I tried
> installing it (I had to turn off UAC), enabling user ‘postgres’ for
> running it as a Service. But I’m encountering some really bizarre
> problems...
>
> First, every time I try ‘psql’ or ‘createdb’ in the command line, it
> says the password does not match user ‘richard’. I suppose this is
> because I’m logged in to Windows as ‘richard’. ‘richard’ is my Windows
> account (administrator) under which I installed postgreSQL.

createdb or psql --help is your friend. It might be -h on windows. You
can pass the postgres user like this:

psql -U postgres
or
createdb -U postgres

The fine manual explains all of this.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/index.html

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Windows Vista not working

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 09/07/2007 16:49, Richard Eng wrote:

> First, every time I try ‘psql’ or ‘createdb’ in the command line, it
> says the password does not match user ‘richard’. I suppose this is
> because I’m logged in to Windows as ‘richard’. ‘richard’ is my Windows
> account (administrator) under which I installed postgreSQL.

Yes, that's exactly right. You have to specify the PostgreSQL user, NOT
the Windows user, as which to execute the command, since it involves a
connection to the database. You do this with the -U switch to psql or
createdb. - Read the documentation for full details.

> Does anyone know what the hell is going on??? Hasn’t anyone used
> postgreSQL under Vista?

I you have a look through the (reasonably recent) archives of this list,
you'll see that others have and do.... you might find something of help.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Date:
On 09/07/2007 18:33, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

> I you have a look through the (reasonably recent) archives of this list,

Whoops - that should have been "If you...." - sorry for any confusion.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie