Reasonable way to backup cluster Windows

From
"Andrus"
Date:
pg doc recommends to use

pg_dumpall -c | gzip >backup.gz

In windows it writes whole file in uncompressed form to temporary file and
only then runs gzip.
This requires large amout of free disk space in temporary file space and
thus is not reasonable.

Which is reasonable way to backup cluster in Windows in compressed format ?

Andrus.

Re: Reasonable way to backup cluster Windows

From
Hannes Dorbath
Date:
On 03.07.2007 17:18, Andrus wrote:
> Which is reasonable way to backup cluster in Windows in compressed format ?

Is the windows pg_dump different from the *nix one? If not, what is the
problem with -Fc?

Hannes Dorbath

Date:
On 04.07.2007 10:42, Andrus wrote:
> I use pg_dumpall -g but in this case I have two backup files: one
> regular backup and second contains sql scripts for user creation.
>
> How to force pg_dump to backup users also ?

There is no way around that.

pg_dumpall -g
pg_dump -Fc for each DB.

Hannes Dorbath

Date:
On 04.07.2007 17:14, Andrus wrote:
> How to backup whole cluster so that huge temprary file containing all
> data in uncompressed form is not created in Windows temporary directory
> ( equivalent to pg_dumpall -c | gzip >backup in Linux ) ?
>
> Pipe in windows creates huge temprary file.

pg_dumpall has lot of disadvantages compared to pg_dump -Fc, I don't see
the point why one would want that.

What I'd recommend is to use pg_dumpall -g and pg_dump -Fc on each DB.
Then get a copy of rdiff-backup for windows to create nice incremental
backups. Wrap those 3 things in a cmd script and use the task scheduler
to run it in a given interval.

Hannes Dorbath