postgresql and solaris 10: pitch to sysadmins

From
"John Smith"
Date:
guys
need to pitch postgresql to some hard-to-budge solaris sysadmins- they
don't even know about the postgresql-solaris 10 package, just used to
oracle and don't want to break their backs over postgresql. plus i
don't know enough slony yet.

can someone point me to some standard backup/restore etc sysadmin
stuff/scripts/processes? also what's best left to the sysadmins that i
shouldn't take responsibility for? any trainings/books for
sysadmins/myself?
thanks, jzs

Re: postgresql and solaris 10: pitch to sysadmins

From
"John Smith"
Date:
couldn't be more timely- could someone elaborate on this ("managing a
backup infrastructure")? is it for sysadmin types??

http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2007/06/training_hot_seat_style/
"...
Most of our clients want short, specific classes on items such as
managing a backup infrastructure, understanding PostgreSQL I/O, and
Tuning Autovacuum.
The classes are short. No more than 8 hours, broken up over two days.
The classes are taught virtually, using industry standard remote
desktop and teleconference technologies. The classes are going to be
relatively inexpensive with an 8 hour course costing higher than
100.00 but less than 500.00
..."

what all does solaris 10 support cover?
jzs

On 6/18/07, John Smith <jayzee.smith@gmail.com> wrote:
> guys
> need to pitch postgresql to some hard-to-budge solaris sysadmins- they
> don't even know about the postgresql-solaris 10 package, just used to
> oracle and don't want to break their backs over postgresql. plus i
> don't know enough slony yet.
>
> can someone point me to some standard backup/restore etc sysadmin
> stuff/scripts/processes? also what's best left to the sysadmins that i
> shouldn't take responsibility for? any trainings/books for
> sysadmins/myself?
> thanks, jzs

Re: postgresql and solaris 10: pitch to sysadmins

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
John Smith wrote:
> couldn't be more timely- could someone elaborate on this ("managing a
> backup infrastructure")? is it for sysadmin types??

Yes it is explicitly for sysadmin types. The idea being, "Hey, I am a
sysadmin and somebody just shoved PostgreSQL down my throat. How do I
make sure everything is on the up and up :)".

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: postgresql and solaris 10: pitch to sysadmins

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 18 June 2007 16:27, John Smith wrote:
> guys
> need to pitch postgresql to some hard-to-budge solaris sysadmins- they
> don't even know about the postgresql-solaris 10 package, just used to
> oracle and don't want to break their backs over postgresql. plus i
> don't know enough slony yet.
>
> can someone point me to some standard backup/restore etc sysadmin
> stuff/scripts/processes? also what's best left to the sysadmins that i
> shouldn't take responsibility for? any trainings/books for
> sysadmins/myself?
> thanks, jzs

We run a number of pg systems on various versions of solaris.  We did a case
study on the instance available here:
http://images.omniti.net/omniti.com/media/c_06-1081_SunOmniTl_SB-Fhr.pdf

We don't really offer PostgreSQL/Solaris specific training (though maybe we
should, Theo is a dtrace wizard), we're more of a professional services firm,
helping with setup and ongoing maintenence.  I don't think Sun offers that
level of training either though you might want to contact your local Sun rep
to find out.

OH, I do have some pg specific bookmarks from Sun you can pass on to your
admins, really setting up postgresql is pretty simple if your guys already
know thier way around the OS.
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/howtoguides/postgresqlhowto.jsp
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5578?q=+postgresql&a=expand

Hmm... one other thing, we've been dumping some of our stuff onto our labs
site, you can see some of it here: https://labs.omniti.com/trac/pgsoltools

HTH
--
Robert Treat