shut down one database?

From
Ottavio Campana
Date:
I have postgresql running several databases. I can stop them all by
stopping postgresql, but sometimes I'd like to shut down a single database.

Can I get the same effect of stopping postgresql for only one database?

--
Non c'e' piu' forza nella normalita', c'e' solo monotonia.

Attachment

Re: shut down one database?

From
Bill Moran
Date:
Ottavio Campana <ottavio@campana.vi.it> wrote:

> I have postgresql running several databases. I can stop them all by
> stopping postgresql, but sometimes I'd like to shut down a single database.
>
> Can I get the same effect of stopping postgresql for only one database?

You can tweak pg_hba.conf to disallow all access to that particular
database.  Will that accomplish what you want?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: shut down one database?

From
Ottavio Campana
Date:
Bill Moran wrote:
> Ottavio Campana <ottavio@campana.vi.it> wrote:
>> I have postgresql running several databases. I can stop them all by
>> stopping postgresql, but sometimes I'd like to shut down a single database.
>>
>> Can I get the same effect of stopping postgresql for only one database?
>
> You can tweak pg_hba.conf to disallow all access to that particular
> database.  Will that accomplish what you want?

well, that would be only a part: I'd also like to stop all the processes
related to that db. Sometimes I have some connection I'd like to close...

--
Non c'e' piu' forza nella normalita', c'e' solo monotonia.

Attachment

Re: shut down one database?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Ottavio Campana wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
>> Ottavio Campana <ottavio@campana.vi.it> wrote:
>>> I have postgresql running several databases. I can stop them all by
>>> stopping postgresql, but sometimes I'd like to shut down a single database.
>>>
>>> Can I get the same effect of stopping postgresql for only one database?
>> You can tweak pg_hba.conf to disallow all access to that particular
>> database.  Will that accomplish what you want?
>
> well, that would be only a part: I'd also like to stop all the processes
> related to that db. Sometimes I have some connection I'd like to close...

set datallowconn to false in pg_database;

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: shut down one database?

From
Ottavio Campana
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Ottavio Campana wrote:
>> Bill Moran wrote:

>>> You can tweak pg_hba.conf to disallow all access to that particular
>>> database.  Will that accomplish what you want?
>>
>> well, that would be only a part: I'd also like to stop all the processes
>> related to that db. Sometimes I have some connection I'd like to close...
>
> set datallowconn to false in pg_database;

does it shut down the already existing ones?

--

Date:
Ottavio Campana wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Ottavio Campana wrote:

>>> well, that would be only a part: I'd also like to stop all the processes
>>> related to that db. Sometimes I have some connection I'd like to close...
>> set datallowconn to false in pg_database;
>
> does it shut down the already existing ones?

It will disallow all connections to whatever database you specify.

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: shut down one database?

From
Erik Jones
Date:
On May 31, 2007, at 9:13 PM, Ottavio Campana wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Ottavio Campana wrote:

>>> well, that would be only a part: I'd also like to stop all the
>>> processes
>>> related to that db. Sometimes I have some connection I'd like to
>>> close...
>>
>> set datallowconn to false in pg_database;
>
> does it shut down the already existing ones?

No, it does not kill already existing connections to the given database.

Erik Jones

Software Developer | Emma®
erik@myemma.com
800.595.4401 or 615.292.5888