Permission denied for sequence

From
"Hackenberg, Rick"

I am currently having a problem with an application that has been working fine for the past few months. Whenever I try to add a new entry into a table I receive the following message:

ERROR: permission denied for sequnce contractid

I have checked the permission for this sequence as well as the other sequences that are contained in my database and it appears that my permissions are ok.

Does anyone have any suggestions for any other settings I should verify? Thanks in advance.

Rick Hackenberg
Business Systems Analyst
PRIMEDIA
Enthusiast Media
6405 Flank Drive
Harrisburg, PA 17112
717-540-6643(Office)
717-657-9552 (FAX)
717-215-0450(Cell)

Re: Permission denied for sequence

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On May 31, 2007, at 14:53 , Hackenberg, Rick wrote:

> I am currently having a problem with an application that has been
> working fine for the past few months. Whenever I try to add a new
> entry into a table I receive the following message:
>
> ERROR: permission denied for sequnce contractid
Please make sure you're providing the exact error message (i.e., copy
& paste).

Assuming you have a DEFAULT nextvai(contractid) on some column in the
table, you need UPDATE permissions on the sequence to use nextval.
See the GRANT documention page:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/sql-grant.html

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net