Replication for PG 8 recommendations

From
David Wall
Date:
Is there a "preferred" replication system for PG 8 db users?  Obviously,
we're looking for robustness, ease of operations/installation, low
latency and efficient with system and network resources, with an active
open source community being preferred.

Thanks,
David

Re: Replication for PG 8 recommendations

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 14:40 -0700, David Wall wrote:
> Is there a "preferred" replication system for PG 8 db users?  Obviously,
> we're looking for robustness, ease of operations/installation, low
> latency and efficient with system and network resources, with an active
> open source community being preferred.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/high-availability.html

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis wrote:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/high-availability.html
Thanks.  I've seen the options and was hoping for grunt-level realities.  Many projects seem to have fallen by the wayside over time.

My first impression was towards a Slony-I type solution, but I need large objects and would prefer schema updates to be automatic.  I was hoping to hear back on any pitfalls or preferences or "how I'd do it if I could do it again" type stories.  We mostly need it for disaster recovery since we're looking to improve upon our current nightly backup/syncs in which we pg_dump the database, SCP it to the backup, then pg_restore on the backup.  It's possible WAL copying will do it, too, but don't know if people find this workable or not.

David

Re: Replication for PG 8 recommendations

From
Hannes Dorbath
Date:
On 10.05.2007 06:30, David Wall wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-05-09 at 14:40 -0700, David Wall wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a "preferred" replication system for PG 8 db users?
>>> Obviously, we're looking for robustness, ease of
>>> operations/installation, low latency and efficient with system and
>>> network resources, with an active open source community being preferred.
>>>
>> Jeff Davis wrote:
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/high-availability.html
>>
> Thanks.  I've seen the options and was hoping for grunt-level
> realities.  Many projects seem to have fallen by the wayside over time.
> My first impression was towards a Slony-I type solution, but I need
> large objects and would prefer schema updates to be automatic.  I was
> hoping to hear back on any pitfalls or preferences or "how I'd do it if
> I could do it again" type stories.  We mostly need it for disaster
> recovery since we're looking to improve upon our current nightly
> backup/syncs in which we pg_dump the database, SCP it to the backup,
> then pg_restore on the backup.  It's possible WAL copying will do it,
> too, but don't know if people find this workable or not.

Replicate the whole block device, PostgreSQL sits on.

Hannes Dorbath

Date:
Hannes Dorbath wrote:

> Replicate the whole block device, PostgreSQL sits on.
For Linux, are you talking about something like DRDB?  That would be
nice in that it would also replicate the web app itself.

David