Postgres 8.3-dev

From
"Paolo Saudin"

I am trying out postgresql-8.3-dev1 on Windows XP SP2 and during the installation, I get the following error during the database cluster initialization :

Here the log from initdb.log file :

The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "SYSTEM".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale C.

creating directory C:/Programmi/PostgreSQL/8.3-dev1/data ... ok

creating subdirectories ... ok

selecting default max_connections ... 100

selecting default shared_buffers/max_fsm_pages ... 32MB/204800

creating configuration files ... ok

creating template1 database in C:/Programmi/PostgreSQL/8.3-dev1/data/base/1 ... ok

initializing pg_authid ... ok

setting password ... ok

initializing dependencies ... ok

creating system views ... ok

creating conversions ... child process exited with exit code 1

initdb: removing data directory "C:/Programmi/PostgreSQL/8.3-dev1/data"

Paolo Saudin

Attachment

Re: Postgres 8.3-dev

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> I am trying out postgresql-8.3-dev1 on Windows XP SP2 and during the installation, I get the following error during
thedatabase cluster initialization :

This looks pretty interesting. Are you specifying an existing account for the service or are you letting the installer
createone? Any warnings or other
messages earlier in the install process?

Are you able to install 8.2 on the same machine with the same options and account?

/Magnus

> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "SYSTEM".

R: Postgres 8.3-dev

From
"Paolo Saudin"
Date:
I am trying to install the 8.3-dev version on a Vmware virtual machine with
WinXP SP2. I am able to install the 8.2.4.1 version with no problem using
the very same settings for both servers as follow:

SETTINGS :
Account name postgres with password postmaster
Accept connections on all addresses, not just localhost
Install Adminpack

During 8.3-dev installation I got through the usual error, and there are no
previous warning during the installation process.

MSG :
Failed to run initdb: 1!
Please see the logfile in 'C:\...\...\initdb.log'.
Note! You must read .....

LOG FILE :
The same as the other email

I then reset the virtual machine and installed the 8.2 with no problem. At
that point I tried to install the 8.3-dev with the account created by the
8.2 installation and I end up the same error.

Paolo

> I am trying out postgresql-8.3-dev1 on Windows XP SP2 and during the
installation, I get the following error during the database cluster
initialization :

This looks pretty interesting. Are you specifying an existing account for
the service or are you letting the installer create one? Any warnings or
other
messages earlier in the install process?

Are you able to install 8.2 on the same machine with the same options and
account?

/Magnus

> The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"SYSTEM".

Re: R: Postgres 8.3-dev

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:00:32AM +0200, Paolo Saudin wrote:
> I am trying to install the 8.3-dev version on a Vmware virtual machine with
> WinXP SP2. I am able to install the 8.2.4.1 version with no problem using
> the very same settings for both servers as follow:

There is no 8.2.4.1 version. There is 8.2.4 or 8.2.1. or are you using
EnterpriseDB and not PostgreSQL? IIRC, the installer is differnt there...

> SETTINGS :
> Account name postgres with password postmaster

Is this both for the service account and the superuser account? Does this
accoutn already exist, or is the installer creating it?

> I then reset the virtual machine and installed the 8.2 with no problem. At
> that point I tried to install the 8.3-dev with the account created by the
> 8.2 installation and I end up the same error.

Any ideas on this Dave?

//Magnus

Re: R: Postgres 8.3-dev

From
Dave Page
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:00:32AM +0200, Paolo Saudin wrote:
>> I am trying to install the 8.3-dev version on a Vmware virtual machine with
>> WinXP SP2. I am able to install the 8.2.4.1 version with no problem using
>> the very same settings for both servers as follow:
>
> There is no 8.2.4.1 version. There is 8.2.4 or 8.2.1. or are you using
> EnterpriseDB and not PostgreSQL? IIRC, the installer is differnt there...

I suspect he means 8.2.4-1 which is how the archive is named in case it
needs re-rolling.

>> SETTINGS :
>> Account name postgres with password postmaster
>
> Is this both for the service account and the superuser account? Does this
> accoutn already exist, or is the installer creating it?
>
>> I then reset the virtual machine and installed the 8.2 with no problem. At
>> that point I tried to install the 8.3-dev with the account created by the
>> 8.2 installation and I end up the same error.
>
> Any ideas on this Dave?

The error in the log is in the create conversions phase of initdb, so I
doubt it's an installer issue. I don't have time to look right now, but
does initdb do anything unusual there? I've got a sneaking suspicion
I've seen a failure at this point before...

Regards, Dave.

Re: R: Postgres 8.3-dev

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:38:48AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >On Fri, May 04, 2007 at 09:00:32AM +0200, Paolo Saudin wrote:
> >>I am trying to install the 8.3-dev version on a Vmware virtual machine
> >>with
> >>WinXP SP2. I am able to install the 8.2.4.1 version with no problem using
> >>the very same settings for both servers as follow:
> >
> >There is no 8.2.4.1 version. There is 8.2.4 or 8.2.1. or are you using
> >EnterpriseDB and not PostgreSQL? IIRC, the installer is differnt there...
>
> I suspect he means 8.2.4-1 which is how the archive is named in case it
> needs re-rolling.

Oh. Sorry about that. Too early in the morning (I know it wasn't
particularly early, but obviously too early)

> >>SETTINGS :
> >>Account name postgres with password postmaster
> >
> >Is this both for the service account and the superuser account? Does this
> >accoutn already exist, or is the installer creating it?
> >
> >>I then reset the virtual machine and installed the 8.2 with no problem. At
> >>that point I tried to install the 8.3-dev with the account created by the
> >>8.2 installation and I end up the same error.
> >
> >Any ideas on this Dave?
>
> The error in the log is in the create conversions phase of initdb, so I
> doubt it's an installer issue. I don't have time to look right now, but
> does initdb do anything unusual there? I've got a sneaking suspicion
> I've seen a failure at this point before...

Yeah. But look at the part about SYSTEM being the owner, I wonder if that's
related.

//Magnus

R: R: Postgres 8.3-dev

From
"Paolo Saudin"
Date:
> There is no 8.2.4.1 version. There is 8.2.4 or 8.2.1. or are you using
> EnterpriseDB and not PostgreSQL? IIRC, the installer is differnt there...

Sorry, the version is 8.2.4, the latest available on the PostgreSQL web site
and I am using only PostgreSQL.

> Is this both for the service account and the superuser account? Does this
> accoutn already exist, or is the installer creating it?

I installed both versions with the following settings :
service account    : postgres with password postmaster
superuser account  : postgres with password postgres

When I install the 8.3-dev version on a clean machine, the installer creates
the account
When I install the 8.3-dev version after installing the 8.2.4, the installer
uses the already created account (postgres with password postmaster )

HERE IS THE LOG FROM THE WINDOWS SYSTEM EVENT LOG
Tipo evento:    Errore
Origine evento:    PostgreSQL
Categoria evento:    Nessuno
ID evento:    0
Data:        04/05/2007
Ora:        10.57.14
Utente:        N/D
Computer:    XPHOME
Descrizione:
Impossibile trovare la descrizione dell'ID evento ( 0 ) nell'origine (
PostgreSQL ). Il computer locale potrebbe non disporre delle necessarie
informazioni nel Registro di sistema o dei file DLL necessari per
visualizzare messaggi da un computer remoto. Utilizzare /AUXSOURCE= flag per
recuperare la descrizione. Per ulteriori informazioni, consultare la Guida
in linea e supporto tecnico. Le seguenti informazioni sono parte
dell'evento: FATAL:  could not load library
"C:/Programmi/PostgreSQL/8.3-dev1/lib/ascii_and_mic.dll": unknown error
14001
STATEMENT:  CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION ascii_to_mic (INTEGER, INTEGER,
CSTRING, INTERNAL, INTEGER) RETURNS VOID AS '$libdir/ascii_and_mic',
'ascii_to_mic' LANGUAGE C STRICT;
.

Paolo

Date:
Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
> The error in the log is in the create conversions phase of initdb, so I
> doubt it's an installer issue. I don't have time to look right now, but
> does initdb do anything unusual there? I've got a sneaking suspicion
> I've seen a failure at this point before...

I believe that's the first step that needs to load a shared library
(ie, the ones containing the conversion functions), so I'd bet on some
sort of path mistake, or a file-permissions problem on the library dlls.

            regards, tom lane

Re: R: Postgres 8.3-dev

From
Dave Page
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Yeah. But look at the part about SYSTEM being the owner, I wonder if that's
> related.

<warning - very tired, might be talking complete tosh!>

Hmm, that is odd. iirc, there is a Windows policy option that tells the
installer to always run with elevated privileges. Do you know if that
effectively runs installers as SYSTEM, or does it elevate the privileges
of the current user somehow?

Paolo; could that option be set manually, or though group policy on your
system?

Regards, Dave.

R: R: Postgres 8.3-dev

From
"Paolo Saudin"

I tried to set that policy to all available settings [activate, not activate, not set] but the result does not change, the installer stops with the same error.

   Here below elevated privileges set for Windows installer

I then tried the same things on a true Windows XP Professional SP2 (not virtual machine) trying to set the above settings and the results were the same. I added the ‘postgres’ user to Administrators group, but doesn’t work either. On that machine there is a 8.2.4 version running

Paolo

> Yeah. But look at the part about SYSTEM being the owner, I wonder if that's

> related.

<warning - very tired, might be talking complete tosh!>

Hmm, that is odd. iirc, there is a Windows policy option that tells the

installer to always run with elevated privileges. Do you know if that

effectively runs installers as SYSTEM, or does it elevate the privileges

of the current user somehow?

Paolo; could that option be set manually, or though group policy on your

system?

Regards, Dave.

Attachment

Re: R: R: Postgres 8.3-dev

From
Dave Page
Date:
Paolo Saudin wrote:
> I tried to set that policy to all available settings [activate, not
> activate, not set] but the result does not change, the installer stops
> with the same error.

> I then tried the same things on a true Windows XP Professional SP2 (not
> virtual machine) trying to set the above settings and the results were
> the same. I added the ‘postgres’ user to Administrators group, but
> doesn’t work either. On that machine there is a 8.2.4 version running

Does the log always show the username SYSTEM?

Regards, Dave

Re: Postgres 8.3-dev

From
"Prashant Ranjalkar"
Date:
Hello,

Remove Postgres directory from the your drive and also entries from Registry. Reboot and try

regards
Prashant Ranjalkar

On 5/2/07, Paolo Saudin <paolo@ecometer.it> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the suggestions,

the directory is removed automatically by the installer, and I looked in the registry for any PostgreSQL 8.3 related key with no success, there are lot of keys from previous versions but no one about 8.3-dev.  on the VMware XP Home clean machine there is nothing but the OS installed. I’ll keep trying !!

Thanks anyway,

Paolo