Carlos Moreno wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, if you can't update major versions that's understandable; that's
>> why we're still maintaining the old branches.  But there is no excuse
>> for not running a reasonably recent sub-release within your branch.
>
> Slammer..bug in Microsucks SQL Server....fix...had been available

Feature request.

How about if PostgreSQL periodically check for updates on the
internet and log WARNINGs as soon as it sees it's not running
the newest minor version for a branch.   Ideally, it could
be set so the time-of-day's configurable to avoid setting off
pagers in the middle of the night.

I might not lurk on the mailinglists enough to notice every
dot release; but I sure would notice if pagers went off with
warnings in the log files from production servers.

Is that a possible TODO?

(The thread started on the performance mailing lists but
I moved it to general since it drifted off topic).

Re: Feature request - have postgresql log warning when new sub-release comes out.

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Ron Mayer wrote:
> Carlos Moreno wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Well, if you can't update major versions that's understandable; that's
>>> why we're still maintaining the old branches.  But there is no excuse
>>> for not running a reasonably recent sub-release within your branch.
>> Slammer..bug in Microsucks SQL Server....fix...had been available
>
> Feature request.
>
> How about if PostgreSQL periodically check for updates on the
> internet and log WARNINGs as soon as it sees it's not running
> the newest minor version for a branch.   Ideally, it could
> be set so the time-of-day's configurable to avoid setting off
> pagers in the middle of the night.

uhmmm gah, errm no... ehhhh why? :)

I could see a contrib module that was an agent that did that but not as
part of actual core.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:

> Carlos Moreno wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Well, if you can't update major versions that's understandable; that's
> >> why we're still maintaining the old branches.  But there is no excuse
> >> for not running a reasonably recent sub-release within your branch.
> >
> > Slammer..bug in Microsucks SQL Server....fix...had been available
>
> Feature request.
>
> How about if PostgreSQL periodically check for updates on the
> internet and log WARNINGs as soon as it sees it's not running
> the newest minor version for a branch.   Ideally, it could
> be set so the time-of-day's configurable to avoid setting off
> pagers in the middle of the night.
>
> I might not lurk on the mailinglists enough to notice every
> dot release; but I sure would notice if pagers went off with
> warnings in the log files from production servers.
>
> Is that a possible TODO?

If you switch to FreeBSD, you can easily have this done automatically
with existing tools.

Actually, I've a feeling that it would be trivial to do with just
about any existing packaging system ...

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: Feature request - have postgresql log warning when new sub-release comes out.

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Actually, I've a feeling that it would be trivial to do with just
> about any existing packaging system ...

Yes pretty much every version of Linux, and FreeBSD, heck even Solaris
if you are willing to run 8.1.

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Feature request - have postgresql log warning when new sub-release comes out.

From
"Leif B. Kristensen"
Date:
On Thursday 26. April 2007 17:10, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Actually, I've a feeling that it would be trivial to do with just
>> about any existing packaging system ...
>
>Yes pretty much every version of Linux, and FreeBSD, heck even Solaris
>if you are willing to run 8.1.

Gentoo is still on version 8.1.8, though, and even that is soft-masked
(stable is at 8.0.12). Seems like a problem with getting 8.2.x to build
on this platform:

<http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-534835-highlight-postgresql.html>
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE
My Jazz Jukebox: http://www.last.fm/user/leifbk/

Leif B. Kristensen wrote:
> On Thursday 26. April 2007 17:10, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> Actually, I've a feeling that it would be trivial to do with just
>>> about any existing packaging system ...
>> Yes pretty much every version of Linux, and FreeBSD, heck even Solaris
>> if you are willing to run 8.1.
>
> Gentoo is still on version 8.1.8, though, and even that is soft-masked
> (stable is at 8.0.12). Seems like a problem with getting 8.2.x to build
> on this platform:
>
> <http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-534835-highlight-postgresql.html>

I run 8.2.x on a Gentoo/x86_64 development box (just did the upgrade to
8.2.4 yesterday) using the postgresql-experimental overlay (via layman)
and have run into no problems. Everything has compiled,
installed/upgraded and been run with no hiccups along the way, nor any
hacky workarounds.

The 8.2 series isn't in the main portage tree yet because, as I
understand it (and I could certainly be mistaken), the contributors
maintaining the ebuilds are reworking the slotting setup as well as
cleaning up the distinctions between server/library/client-only installs.

Granted, I'm not advising a mission-critical server that happens to be
running Gentoo use a portage overlay explicitly marked "experimental"
for its RDBMS package management -- just pointing out that there is a
pretty straight-forward way to get the 8.2 series through portage if
you're willing to use an overlay for it.

-Jon

--
Senior Systems Developer
Media Matters for America

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Ron Mayer wrote:
>> How about if PostgreSQL periodically check for updates on the
>> internet and log WARNINGs as soon as it sees it's not running
>> the newest minor version for a branch. ...
>
> uhmmm gah, errm no... ehhhh why? :)

Mostly because it seems like a near FAQ here that someone
posts questions about people running very old postgresqls
where the answers are "that was fixed in the latest minor version".

Regarding people saying that their OS package manager
can do this for them - I note that the people who have
this problem the worst seem to be the people running
older postgresqls, and your OS vendor may not be keeping
the major version number of their postgresql the same
as yours.   For example, apt-cache search here isn't showing
me 8.0 (though it does show 7.4, 8.1, and 8.2).

> I could see a contrib module that was an agent that did that but not as
> part of actual core.

I was thinking it would protect the more ignorant users
who didn't even know about contrib.   I imagine anyone
who did know enough to install a contrib module would
also know how to write such a script without it.

No big deal, though - if others don't think there's a need, then
I'm not going to push for it.

On 4/25/07, Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> wrote:
> Carlos Moreno wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Well, if you can't update major versions that's understandable; that's
> >> why we're still maintaining the old branches.  But there is no excuse
> >> for not running a reasonably recent sub-release within your branch.
> >
> > Slammer..bug in Microsucks SQL Server....fix...had been available
>
> Feature request.
>
> How about if PostgreSQL periodically check for updates on the
> internet and log WARNINGs as soon as it sees it's not running
> the newest minor version for a branch.   Ideally, it could
> be set so the time-of-day's configurable to avoid setting off
> pagers in the middle of the night.
>
> I might not lurk on the mailinglists enough to notice every
> dot release; but I sure would notice if pagers went off with
> warnings in the log files from production servers.
>
> Is that a possible TODO?
>

> (The thread started on the performance mailing lists but
> I moved it to general since it drifted off topic).

what about the distros that  do  backporting for the  bug fixes ?
those would be  saying you are with a outdated PostgreSQL version

--
Leonel

Date:
On Thursday 26. April 2007 20:12, Jon Sime wrote:
>I run 8.2.x on a Gentoo/x86_64 development box (just did the upgrade
> to 8.2.4 yesterday) using the postgresql-experimental overlay (via
> layman) and have run into no problems. Everything has compiled,
>installed/upgraded and been run with no hiccups along the way, nor any
>hacky workarounds.

Postgresql-8.2.4 went soft-masked today. I've upgraded and my own local
web application is working just fine, but dependencies for several
other libs and apps are broken, and I'm in the process of running
revdep-rebuild and rebuilding 14 packages right now.