Regarding WAL

From
Mageshwaran
Date:
Hi ,

I want to do replication using WAL , please tell the methods by which
log shipping is done ie moving the wal files to slaves and executing it.

********** DISCLAIMER **********
Information contained and transmitted by this E-MAIL is proprietary to
Sify Limited and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to
confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If this is a
forwarded message, the content of this E-MAIL may not have been sent with
the authority of the Company. If you are not the intended recipient, an
agent of the intended recipient or a  person responsible for delivering the
information to the named recipient,  you are notified that any use,
distribution, transmission, printing, copying or dissemination of this
information in any way or in any manner is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please delete this mail & notify us
immediately at admin@sifycorp.com

Complete Coverage of the ICC World Cup '07! Log on to www.sify.com/khel for
latest updates, expert columns, schedule, desktop scorecard, photo galleries
and more!

Watch the hottest videos from Bollywood, Fashion, News and more only on
www.sifymax.com

For the Expert view of the ICC World Cup log on to www.sify.com/khel.
Read exclusive interviews with Sachin, Ganguly, Yuvraj, Sreesanth, Expert
Columns by Gavaskar, Web chat with Dhoni and more! .

Re: Regarding WAL

From
"Alexander Staubo"
Date:
On 4/24/07, Mageshwaran <j_mageshwaran@sifycorp.com> wrote:
> I want to do replication using WAL , please tell the methods by which
> log shipping is done ie moving the wal files to slaves and executing it.

Not possible at the moment: the log shipping facility that was
introduced in 8.2 only lets you set up a so-called warm standby, which
cannot be queried; it's not live replication.

The warm standby system is a fairly crude hack that relies on WAL
files being copied from the main server to the standby and then
starting the standby in recovery mode when you want to bring it up. At
this point the standby is your main database, and it can no longer WAL
files. Documented here:

 http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/warm-standby.html

Alexander.

Re: [ADMIN] Regarding WAL

From
Brad Nicholson
Date:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/continuous-archiving.html

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106

Re: Regarding WAL

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 11:31 +0200, Alexander Staubo wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Mageshwaran <j_mageshwaran@sifycorp.com> wrote:
> > I want to do replication using WAL , please tell the methods by which
> > log shipping is done ie moving the wal files to slaves and executing it.
>
> Not possible at the moment: the log shipping facility that was
> introduced in 8.2 only lets you set up a so-called warm standby, which
> cannot be queried; it's not live replication.
>
> The warm standby system is a fairly crude hack that relies on WAL
> files being copied from the main server to the standby and then
> starting the standby in recovery mode when you want to bring it up. At
> this point the standby is your main database, and it can no longer WAL
> files. Documented here:
>
>  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/warm-standby.html

The use-case for Warm Standby is for people that want a simple,
efficient mechanism for providing High Availability replication.

If there are any feature requests, please let me know.

--
  Simon Riggs