Modify existing index

From
RPK
Date:
I have a table and a column that is primary key. I want to modify the
existing index and use two other columns to be used for indexing. Since
queries will be run using these two columns, hence I want to use them.
Can I modify the existing index using pgAdmin? Which type of index will suit
this table? B-Tree, Hash ...? This table has frequent insertions but rare
updates.

Re: Modify existing index

From
Peter Eisentraut
RPK wrote:
> I have a table and a column that is primary key. I want to modify the
> existing index and use two other columns to be used for indexing.
> Since queries will be run using these two columns, hence I want to
> use them.

The choice of what your primary key is should arise from the schema
design, not the frequency of queries.  If you are querying columns
other than the primary key, just add another index.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Modify existing index

From
RPK
Date:
How to see the details of indexes being used by a table? If I want to drop an
index, how can I do that?

>The choice of what your primary key is should arise from the schema
>design, not the frequency of queries.  If you are querying columns
>other than the primary key, just add another index.

Re: Modify existing index

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  Sat, dem 21.04.2007, um  0:20:45 -0700 mailte RPK folgendes:

> How to see the details of indexes being used by a table? If I want to drop an

Within psql, type '\d <tablename>'.

> index, how can I do that?

DROP <INDEX>, perhaps with option CASCADE.

Please read our documentation...

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer