Auditing a database

From
Germán Hüttemann Arza
Date:
Hi,

I am developing a web application for auditing tables from a postgresql
database.

My question is: when an update occurrs in the base table, should I insert in
the auditing table the new record or the old one?

I was first inserting the new one but a job partner, who are testing the
application suggested that probably would be better to insert the old record
because it is simpler to follow the trace of updates.

What you suggest?

Germán Hüttemann Arza
CNC - Centro Nacional de Computación
UNA - Universidad Nacional de Asunción
Campus Universitario, San Lorenzo - Paraguay
http://www.cnc.una.py  - Tel.: 595 21 585550

Re: Auditing a database

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Germán Hüttemann Arza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am developing a web application for auditing tables from a postgresql
> database.
>
> My question is: when an update occurrs in the base table, should I insert in
> the auditing table the new record or the old one?

Old - you already have the new version in the main table.

Before you spend too long working on this though, I'd search for "audit"
on www.pgfoundry.org

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: Auditing a database

From
Kenneth Downs
Date:
Ask the question: can I make sure I always have a complete trail?  If
you insert the old row, you will always have the old values and the
table itself holds the new values.

--
Kenneth Downs
Secure Data Software, Inc.

Re: Auditing a database

From
Dave Page
Date:
Germán Hüttemann Arza wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am developing a web application for auditing tables from a postgresql
> database.
>
> My question is: when an update occurrs in the base table, should I insert in
> the auditing table the new record or the old one?
>
> I was first inserting the new one but a job partner, who are testing the
> application suggested that probably would be better to insert the old record
> because it is simpler to follow the trace of updates.
>
> What you suggest?

Both?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Auditing a database

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello all,

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 09:27:33 -0400
Kenneth Downs <ken@secdat.com> wrote:

> Ask the question: can I make sure I always have a complete trail?  If
> you insert the old row, you will always have the old values and the
> table itself holds the new values.

In tablelog (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/tablelog/) i decided to have both rows, the old and the new one. So i don't
needto lookup the current state in the original table and be able to fetch any data from one single audit table.

> Germán Hüttemann Arza wrote:

Your quoting ... well, sucks ;-)

Kind regards

--