WAL

From
"Ashish Karalkar"
Date:
Hello All,

can anybody please tell me which file name should  given in %f  parameter of archive_command.

As per documantation

    "When not using WAL archiving, the system normally creates just a few segment files and then “recycles” them by renaming no-longer-needed segment files to higher segment numbers."

So there are 4/5 files. Now i want to switch to archiving mode.

which file name should be given in place of %f parameter of archive command

my command looks like this:

'cp -i /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog  /mnt/server/archivedir/%f'

Thanks in advance

With Regards

Ashish...

Re: WAL

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> can anybody please tell me which file name should  given in %f  parameter of archive_command.
>
> As per documantation
>
>     "When not using WAL archiving, the system normally creates just a few segment files and then "recycles" them by
renamingno-longer-needed segment files to higher segment numbers."

> So there are 4/5 files. Now i want to switch to archiving mode.
>
> which file name should be given in place of %f parameter of archive command
>
> my command looks like this:
>
> 'cp -i /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_xlog  /mnt/server/archivedir/%f'

I think you've got the wrong idea. You need to place %p and %f in your
command-string, and the server replaces them with the correct path/filename.

So - %p will be the full path to the file the system wants you to
archive and %f is just its name. Re-read section 23.3 of the manuals and
start off with the example commands perhaps.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd