Login to Postgres 8.2 via Cygwin hangs

From
Sergei Dubov
Date:
Hi guys,

I just installed the latest release of Postgres (8.2 native version) on
Win XP Pro). When I try to run psql through Cygwin, I cannot get to the
postgres terminal. I mean I type in the password, and the feeling is
that it just hangs.

It all works fine from Windows terminal.

Any ideas at all?

Thanks a lot!

Serge

P.S. I remember I played with Postgres 8.0 about a year ago, and it all
worked fine on Cygwin.....

Re: Login to Postgres 8.2 via Cygwin hangs

From
"A. Kretschmer"
Date:
am  Wed, dem 18.04.2007, um 23:25:07 -0400 mailte Sergei Dubov folgendes:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just installed the latest release of Postgres (8.2 native version) on
> Win XP Pro). When I try to run psql through Cygwin, I cannot get to the

I'm not familiar with this crappy os, but since version 8.0 you don't
need cygwin for postgresql. There are a native windoze installer, and it
runs native on windoze, including psql.

Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer

Re: Login to Postgres 8.2 via Cygwin hangs

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Sergei Dubov wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just installed the latest release of Postgres (8.2 native version) on
> Win XP Pro). When I try to run psql through Cygwin, I cannot get to the
> postgres terminal. I mean I type in the password, and the feeling is
> that it just hangs.

If you are running 8.2 native version why are you running psql through
cygwin?

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Login to Postgres 8.2 via Cygwin hangs

From
Klint Gore
Date:
On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:25:07 -0400, Sergei Dubov <sdubov@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just installed the latest release of Postgres (8.2 native version) on
> Win XP Pro). When I try to run psql through Cygwin, I cannot get to the
> postgres terminal. I mean I type in the password, and the feeling is
> that it just hangs.
>
> It all works fine from Windows terminal.
>
> Any ideas at all?

Use strace and see where it stops.  If that doesn't help, use gdb.

klint.

: Klint Gore                            : "Non rhyming    :
: EMail   : kg@kgb.une.edu.au           :  slang - the    :
: Snail   : A.B.R.I.                    :  possibilities  :
: Mail      University of New England   :  are useless"   :
:           Armidale NSW 2351 Australia :     L.J.J.      :
: Fax     : +61 2 6772 5376             :                 :