delete with self join

From
garry saddington
Date:
I am trying this syntax which is my interpretation of the docs:

     delete from siblings s1 using siblings s2
        WHERE  s1.principal = s2.principal
              and s1.sibling=175

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?
regards
Garry

Re: delete with self join

From
Richard Broersma Jr
Date:
--- garry saddington <garry@schoolteachers.co.uk> wrote:

> I am trying this syntax which is my interpretation of the docs:
>
>      delete from siblings s1 using siblings s2
>         WHERE  s1.principal = s2.principal
>               and s1.sibling=175
>
> Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

What is your query do that is different that what you expect? However, I expect that your query
can effectively be reduced to:

delete from siblings where s1.sibling=175;

since "s1.principal = s1.principal" isn't really doing much reduce the number of rows for
deletion.

Regards,
Richard Broersma

Re: delete with self join

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
garry saddington wrote:
> I am trying this syntax which is my interpretation of the docs:
>
>      delete from siblings s1 using siblings s2
>         WHERE  s1.principal = s2.principal
>               and s1.sibling=175
>
> Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?

1. What's happening - are you getting an error?

2. What is the query supposed to do? I can't see why you're not just doing:
DELETE FROM siblings WHERE sibling=175;

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: delete with self join

From
garry saddington
Date:
On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 09:21 +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> garry saddington wrote:
> > I am trying this syntax which is my interpretation of the docs:
> >
> >      delete from siblings s1 using siblings s2
> >         WHERE  s1.principal = s2.principal
> >               and s1.sibling=175
> >
> > Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?
>
> 1. What's happening - are you getting an error?
I am getting a syntax error (via psycopg) at or near s1 - perhaps this is a psycopg problem?
> 2. What is the query supposed to do? I can't see why you're not just doing:
> DELETE FROM siblings WHERE sibling=175;

I am keeping a record of siblings in a school. The user chooses one
student and there siblings such that id's are entered into a table as
such:
TABLE SIBLINGS:

principal  sibling
  809         234
  809         785
  809         345
  809         809

809 is a sibling of all of them, but of course 234 is a sibling of 785.
To retrieve siblings I use this query:

      SELECT
students.studentid,students.firstname,students.surname,students.year,students.pastoralgroup,students.dob
        FROM   siblings c, siblings c2,students
        WHERE  c.principal = c2.principal
              and c.sibling=234 (this value is supplied in a variable)
and c2.sibling=students.studentid

What I am trying to do is to allow the user to correct input mistakes by
deleting all the siblings of one family at the same time by choosing
just one of the siblings. I hope this clears things up.
Regards
Garry

Re: delete with self join

From
Thomas Burdairon
Date:
On Apr 17, 2007, at 11:07, garry saddington wrote:

> I am keeping a record of siblings in a school. The user chooses one
> student and there siblings such that id's are entered into a table as
> such:
> TABLE SIBLINGS:
>
> principal  sibling
>   809         234
>   809         785
>   809         345
>   809         809
>
> 809 is a sibling of all of them, but of course 234 is a sibling of
> 785.
> To retrieve siblings I use this query:
>
>       SELECT
> students.studentid,students.firstname,students.surname,students.year,s
> tudents.pastoralgroup,students.dob
>         FROM   siblings c, siblings c2,students
>         WHERE  c.principal = c2.principal
>               and c.sibling=234 (this value is supplied in a variable)
> and c2.sibling=students.studentid
>
> What I am trying to do is to allow the user to correct input
> mistakes by
> deleting all the siblings of one family at the same time by choosing
> just one of the siblings. I hope this clears things up.
> Regards
> Garry

What about a
DELETE FROM siblings WHERE principal IN (SELECT principal FROM
siblings WHERE sibling = 42)
?

Thomas

Re: delete with self join

From
Richard Huxton
Date:
garry saddington wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 09:21 +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
>> garry saddington wrote:
>>> I am trying this syntax which is my interpretation of the docs:
>>>
>>>      delete from siblings s1 using siblings s2
>>>         WHERE  s1.principal = s2.principal
>>>               and s1.sibling=175
>>>
>>> Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong?
>> 1. What's happening - are you getting an error?
> I am getting a syntax error (via psycopg) at or near s1 - perhaps this is a psycopg problem?
>> 2. What is the query supposed to do? I can't see why you're not just doing:
>> DELETE FROM siblings WHERE sibling=175;
>>

> I am keeping a record of siblings in a school. The user chooses one
> student and there siblings such that id's are entered into a table as
> such:
> TABLE SIBLINGS:
>
> principal  sibling
>   809         234
>   809         785
>   809         345
>   809         809

> What I am trying to do is to allow the user to correct input mistakes by
> deleting all the siblings of one family at the same time by choosing
> just one of the siblings. I hope this clears things up.

Ah, OK. The error then is that you're testing against s1.sibling not
s2.sibling. "delete from siblings s1 ... and s1.sibling=175" which means
you're not using s2 at all.

You might find it clearer with a subquery:
DELETE FROM siblings WHERE principal = (
    SELECT principal FROM siblings WHERE sibling=234
);

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

Re: delete with self join

From
garry saddington
Date:
On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 10:15 +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> garry saddington wrote:

> >> 1. What's happening - are you getting an error?
> > I am getting a syntax error (via psycopg) at or near s1 - perhaps this is a psycopg problem?
> >> 2. What is the query supposed to do? I can't see why you're not just doing:
> >> DELETE FROM siblings WHERE sibling=175;
> >>

> > I am keeping a record of siblings in a school. The user chooses one
> > student and there siblings such that id's are entered into a table as
> > such:
> > TABLE SIBLINGS:
> >
> > principal  sibling
> >   809         234
> >   809         785
> >   809         345
> >   809         809
>
> > What I am trying to do is to allow the user to correct input mistakes by
> > deleting all the siblings of one family at the same time by choosing
> > just one of the siblings. I hope this clears things up.
>
> Ah, OK. The error then is that you're testing against s1.sibling not
> s2.sibling. "delete from siblings s1 ... and s1.sibling=175" which means
> you're not using s2 at all.
>
> You might find it clearer with a subquery:
> DELETE FROM siblings WHERE principal = (
>     SELECT principal FROM siblings WHERE sibling=234
> );
Thanks, can't think why I went the complicated route!
Regards
Garry