Import data from 8.2.3 into 8.0.8

From
Jiří Němec
Date:
Hello,

I need to import PostgreSQL DB from 8.2.3 server 8.0.8 server. Is
there some "compatibility mode"? When I try to import this dump
PostgreSQL 8.0.8 reports errors - probably due version
incompatibility.

Thank you for your advices.

--
Jiri Nemec
http://www.menea.cz/

Re: Import data from 8.2.3 into 8.0.8

From
Csaba Nagy
Date:
Jiří,

I guess you should be able to do it via slony. Usually one wants to
upgrade using slony, but it should work the other way around too :-)

Cheers,
Csaba.

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 15:09, Jiří Němec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to import PostgreSQL DB from 8.2.3 server 8.0.8 server. Is
> there some "compatibility mode"? When I try to import this dump
> PostgreSQL 8.0.8 reports errors - probably due version
> incompatibility.
>
> Thank you for your advices.

Re: Import data from 8.2.3 into 8.0.8

From
Csaba Nagy
Date:
Sorry Jiří, that was a hasty answer from my part...

> I haven't used Slony by now. Do you have some advices or articles they
> may help? I have no ssh access at FreeBSD server box when PostgreSQL
> 8.0 server runs - so I hope this is no problem...

Slony is quite a heavy beast to install, I'm pretty sure now that I
think about it that you don't want to go that way.

What you probably want is to:
* make a separate schema dump + data dump;
* apply the schema dump to the old box and manually fix errors;
* possibly drop indexes/constraints so the data loading goes faster;
* load the data to the 8.0 box - theoretically here you shouldn't have big problems, but I'm not sure about that;
* recreate indexes/constraints if you dropped them;

The index/constraint thing is a concern if you have big amount of data, otherwise I wouldn't touch it.

HTH,
Csaba.