8.2.3 AutoVacuum not running

From
"Schwenker, Stephen"
Date:
Hello,

I've just compiled an instance of Postgresql 8.2.3 on a new linux box and have added some databases to it.  I've noticed however that the autovacuum is not running.  I have turned on the autovacuum, stats_start_collector, and stats_row_level and still the autovacuum is not running.

Can anyone give me a hand.  I have an 8.1.x instance on another maching and it runs perfectly and I see records in the log telling me that the vacuum is running.

Thank you,

Steve.

Re: 8.2.3 AutoVacuum not running

Date:
"Schwenker, Stephen" <SSchwenker@thestar.ca> writes:
> I've just compiled an instance of Postgresql 8.2.3 on a new linux box
> and have added some databases to it.  I've noticed however that the
> autovacuum is not running.

How sure are you of that?  Check pg_stat_all_tables to see if the
last_autovacuum column is changing.

            regards, tom lane

Re: 8.2.3 AutoVacuum not running

From
"Schwenker, Stephen"
Date:
Hey,

I've also notice one difference between my 8.1 instance and my 8.2 instance.  I run a ps and on the 8.1 instance there is a 'stats buffer process' and in the 8.2 instance there is no 'stats buffer instance'

Does that give you anymore reasons as to why the autovacuum is not working?

:)

> I've just compiled an instance of Postgresql 8.2.3 on a new linux box
> and have added some databases to it.  I've noticed however that the
> autovacuum is not running.

How sure are you of that?  Check pg_stat_all_tables to see if the
last_autovacuum column is changing.

                        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.2.3 AutoVacuum not running

From
"Schwenker, Stephen"
I'm sure.  That column is null for all tables in my databases accept for the few tables that I've vacuumed manually.

Any other suggestions?  :)

> I've just compiled an instance of Postgresql 8.2.3 on a new linux box
> and have added some databases to it.  I've noticed however that the
> autovacuum is not running.

How sure are you of that?  Check pg_stat_all_tables to see if the
last_autovacuum column is changing.

                        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.2.3 AutoVacuum not running

From
"Schwenker, Stephen"
Date:
Hey,  I've just found something else.  When I compiled postgresql, I assumed that because it compiled then it was a supported system.  This was on the first line of the configure output.

checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

I've looked at the supported systems list and the x86_64 doesn't appear to be supported.  Can someone help me figure out how to make that system type to get supported?  Maybe I can turn on some debugging to figure out why it's not running.  I'm willing to put in some time to figure it out.

Thank you,

Steve.

> I've just compiled an instance of Postgresql 8.2.3 on a new linux box
> and have added some databases to it.  I've noticed however that the
> autovacuum is not running.

How sure are you of that?  Check pg_stat_all_tables to see if the
last_autovacuum column is changing.

                        regards, tom lane

Re: 8.2.3 AutoVacuum not running

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Schwenker, Stephen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've also notice one difference between my 8.1 instance and my 8.2
> instance.  I run a ps and on the 8.1 instance there is a 'stats buffer
> process' and in the 8.2 instance there is no 'stats buffer instance'
>
> Does that give you anymore reasons as to why the autovacuum is not working?

No -- the stats buffer process was removed in 8.2 on purpose.

If you do a "show autovacuum", does it show as on?  Maybe it was
disabled due to misconfiguration.

Re: 8.2.3 AutoVacuum not running

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
OK, do you have the stats system enabled also?  You require at least
row_level stats for autovacuum to work.

Date:
"Schwenker, Stephen" <SSchwenker@thestar.ca> writes:
> It says it's on and I have also turned on all stats collecting.

My guess is that it's actually running but is not choosing to do any
vacuums for some reason.  Try setting log_min_messages to DEBUG5 for
awhile and trawling the postmaster log for evidence.  You should at
minimum see messages indicating that the postmaster is launching an
autovac worker process once a minute; the next question is what that
process is doing with itself.  (You might want to adjust log_line_prefix
to include PID so that you can track which messages come from which
process.  I find including a timestamp is often helpful also.)

            regards, tom lane

--
Alvaro Herrera
http://www.CommandPrompt.com/

Re: 8.2.3 AutoVacuum not running

From
marcelo Cortez
Date:
Hi folks

 I Agree with Stephen ,before update to 8.2.3 version
 i can see "vacuum database xxxxxx "
 tailing the file log, off course log statements i'ts
in 'all' .
After update don't see anymore, plus pgAdmin reclaim
to me for vacuum databases.
best regards
MDC

escribió:

> It says it's on and I have also turned on all stats
> collecting.

Preguntá. Respondé. Descubrí.
está en Yahoo! Respuestas (Beta).
¡Probalo ya!
http://www.yahoo.com.ar/respuestas

Date:
Schwenker, Stephen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just compiled an instance of Postgresql 8.2.3 on a new linux box
> and have added some databases to it.  I've noticed however that the
> autovacuum is not running.  I have turned on the autovacuum,
> stats_start_collector, and stats_row_level and still the autovacuum is
> not running.

Was this solved?