PostgreSQL 7.3.4 using Cygwin on a Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2

From
"Candy Gutierrez"
Date:
Hi,

I just want to know if it is possible to install PostgreSQL 7.3.4 using Cygwin on a Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2 platform?
I tried it several times but I couldn't create a database.  But when I installed it on Windows 2003 Server (no SPs), it was
successful.  I have set all the required user privileges on both test scenarios.

Thanks,
kendz

Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.4 using Cygwin on a Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Candy Gutierrez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just want to know if it is possible to install PostgreSQL 7.3.4 using
> Cygwin on a Windows 2003 Server R2 SP2 platform?
> I tried it several times but I couldn't create a database.  But when I
> installed it on Windows 2003 Server (no SPs), it was
> successful.  I have set all the required user privileges on both test
> scenarios.

Why, really, do you want 7.3.4 and why on earth do you want cygwin?

First, if you really want 7.3, you want 7.3.18.

That said, you really don't want 7.3. You want 8.2. Or at least 8.1. 7.3
is ancient, and no longer fully maintained. Especially the windows parts.

And finally, why do you really want cygwin? Since 8.0 we've had a native
Windows port, which works a lot better than the cygwin one. It's a lot
faster, it's a lot more stable, it's actually maintained etc.

Bottom line - if you can, get 8.2.3 native windows version.

//Magnus