Configuring phpPgAdmin and pg_ctl reload

From
John Meyer
Date:
I'm setting up phpPgAdmin and I finally get to the point where you
reconfigure pg_hba.conf  One of the lines says to reload the values,
type the command pg_ctl reload.  I try it as super user, no go, I su
into postgres, it complains:

pg_ctl reload
pg_ctl: no database directory specified and environment variable PGDATA
unset
Try "pg_ctl --help" for more information.

Keeping in mind that I typed just what pga_hba.conf said, was there a
step I was missing (I ended up restarting the server and that worked).

Re: Configuring phpPgAdmin and pg_ctl reload

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 21:01 -0600, John Meyer wrote:

> pg_ctl reload
> pg_ctl: no database directory specified and environment variable
> PGDATA unset

You should use

pg_ctl -D /path/to/your/data/dir reload

See man page for details.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: Configuring phpPgAdmin and pg_ctl reload

From
"Ashish Karalkar"
Date:
Try

pg_ctl  -D /path to pg data home

e.g.

pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

Hope this will help

Date:
Ashish Karalkar wrote:
> Try
>
> pg_ctl  -D /path to pg data home
>
> e.g.
> pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>
> Hope this will help
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Meyer" <john.l.meyer@gmail.com>

Okay.
Maybe it was just understood, but I was typing in word for word the
entry from pg_hba.conf, but I'll keep that for reference later on.

Re: Configuring phpPgAdmin and pg_ctl reload

From
Douglas McNaught
Date:
John Meyer <john.l.meyer@gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe it was just understood, but I was typing in word for word the
> entry from pg_hba.conf, but I'll keep that for reference later on.

pg_ctl needs either the data directory supplied on the command line,
or PGDATA set in the environment, which reading the manpage would have
told you.  ;)

-Doug

Date:
Douglas McNaught wrote:
> John Meyer <john.l.meyer@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Maybe it was just understood, but I was typing in word for word the
>> entry from pg_hba.conf, but I'll keep that for reference later on.
>
> pg_ctl needs either the data directory supplied on the command line,
> or PGDATA set in the environment, which reading the manpage would have
> told you.  ;)
>
> -Doug

In the end, it got fixed, but that will go into the blog for future
reference.  Thanks all.