simple coordinate system

From
"Robin Ericsson"
Date:
Hi,

I'm planning a simple coordinate system, where objects are described
as x, y and z. Are there any contribs or extensions available that can
help me with datatypes, calculation of length between two points, etc?

--
        regards,
        Robin

Re: simple coordinate system

From
"Webb Sprague"
Date:
... planning a simple coordinate system, where objects are described
> as x, y and z. Are there any contribs or extensions available that can
> help me with datatypes, calculation of length between two points, etc?

google postgis.  It is for geographic stuff, so maybe overkill, but
maybe not.  There are are also geometry types native to Postgres that
you can find in the docs

Date:
On 3/15/07, Webb Sprague <webb.sprague@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... planning a simple coordinate system, where objects are described
> > as x, y and z. Are there any contribs or extensions available that can
> > help me with datatypes, calculation of length between two points, etc?
>
> google postgis.  It is for geographic stuff, so maybe overkill, but
> maybe not.  There are are also geometry types native to Postgres that
> you can find in the docs

I was thinking about PostGIS, but it seemed overkill for my purpose.
Therefore I asked in the first place :)

--
        regards,
        Robin

Re: simple coordinate system

From
"Webb Sprague"
Date:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datatype-geometric.html

Have you looked at these yet?  If not, you asked your question
prematurely and should have read the docs.  If so, in what respect do
they not work for you?

Date:
On 3/15/07, Webb Sprague <webb.sprague@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datatype-geometric.html
>
> Have you looked at these yet?  If not, you asked your question
> prematurely and should have read the docs.  If so, in what respect do
> they not work for you?

Yes, I've looked at those, I was thinking that point looked like a
good type, but it's only 2d, so maybe I need a hint on how to use this
in a 3d environment.

--

Date:
"Robin Ericsson" <lobbin@gmail.com> writes:
> Yes, I've looked at those, I was thinking that point looked like a
> good type, but it's only 2d, so maybe I need a hint on how to use this
> in a 3d environment.

Yeah, the built-in geometric types are all 2D.  If you need 3D, perhaps
PostGIS can help --- otherwise you're on your own :-(.  But adding a new
datatype to PG isn't hard, if you can hack C at all.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> "Robin Ericsson" <lobbin@gmail.com> writes:
> > Yes, I've looked at those, I was thinking that point looked like a
> > good type, but it's only 2d, so maybe I need a hint on how to use this
> > in a 3d environment.
>
> Yeah, the built-in geometric types are all 2D.  If you need 3D, perhaps
> PostGIS can help --- otherwise you're on your own :-(.  But adding a new
> datatype to PG isn't hard, if you can hack C at all.

My hope was that there was something between standard PostgreSQL and
PostGIS as I didn't want to bring in the whole PostGIS into my
application. But probably it's worth it anyways.

--
        regards,
        Robin

Re: simple coordinate system

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Fri, Mar 16, 2007 at 15:55:15 +0100,
  Robin Ericsson <lobbin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/16/07, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >"Robin Ericsson" <lobbin@gmail.com> writes:
> >> Yes, I've looked at those, I was thinking that point looked like a
> >> good type, but it's only 2d, so maybe I need a hint on how to use this
> >> in a 3d environment.
> >
> >Yeah, the built-in geometric types are all 2D.  If you need 3D, perhaps
> >PostGIS can help --- otherwise you're on your own :-(.  But adding a new
> >datatype to PG isn't hard, if you can hack C at all.
>
> My hope was that there was something between standard PostgreSQL and
> PostGIS as I didn't want to bring in the whole PostGIS into my
> application. But probably it's worth it anyways.

The cube contrib stuff might be useful for you.