PostgreSQL on Windows Paper

From
Chris Travers
Date:
Hi all;

Microsoft has seen it fit to publish a paper I have written as an
introduction to PostgreSQL on Windows.  This paper covers the basics of
installing and configuring the software.  I thought it might be of
interest here so here is the link:

http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/02/22/postgresql-on-windows-a-primer.aspx

If there are any editorial concerns they can be directed to me.  It is
my hope that this will help introduce our favorite RDBMS to a wider
audience.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

PS I hope this is appropriate to mention on -general as well as
-advocacy.  Since this has both advocacy and practical aspects, I
figured I would cross-post.

Attachment

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows Paper

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 12:22, Chris Travers wrote:
> Hi all;
>
> Microsoft has seen it fit to publish a paper I have written as an
> introduction to PostgreSQL on Windows.  This paper covers the basics of
> installing and configuring the software.  I thought it might be of
> interest here so here is the link:
>
> http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/02/22/postgresql-on-windows-a-primer.aspx
>
> If there are any editorial concerns they can be directed to me.  It is
> my hope that this will help introduce our favorite RDBMS to a wider
> audience.

One point, the paper mentions that you can't run pgsql under an admin
account, but I thought that changed with 8.2.  Or is that with Vista or
something?

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows Paper

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 12:22, Chris Travers wrote:
>> Hi all;
>>
>> Microsoft has seen it fit to publish a paper I have written as an
>> introduction to PostgreSQL on Windows.  This paper covers the basics of
>> installing and configuring the software.  I thought it might be of
>> interest here so here is the link:
>>
>> http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/02/22/postgresql-on-windows-a-primer.aspx
>>
>> If there are any editorial concerns they can be directed to me.  It is
>> my hope that this will help introduce our favorite RDBMS to a wider
>> audience.
>
> One point, the paper mentions that you can't run pgsql under an admin
> account, but I thought that changed with 8.2.  Or is that with Vista or
> something?

You can start postgresql under and admin account, but is uses drop
privelages or something like that to insure that it doesn't *run* under
an admin account.

Joshua D. Drake

> TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL on Windows Paper

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 12:22, Chris Travers wrote:
> >> Hi all;
> >>
> >> Microsoft has seen it fit to publish a paper I have written as an
> >> introduction to PostgreSQL on Windows.  This paper covers the basics of
> >> installing and configuring the software.  I thought it might be of
> >> interest here so here is the link:
> >>
> >> http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/02/22/postgresql-on-windows-a-primer.aspx
> >>
> >> If there are any editorial concerns they can be directed to me.  It is
> >> my hope that this will help introduce our favorite RDBMS to a wider
> >> audience.
> >
> > One point, the paper mentions that you can't run pgsql under an admin
> > account, but I thought that changed with 8.2.  Or is that with Vista or
> > something?
>
> You can start postgresql under and admin account, but is uses drop
> privelages or something like that to insure that it doesn't *run* under
> an admin account.

It drops privileges, which is something very much like dropping the root
UID in a setuid root Unix program.  So in practice you can run Postgres
under the admin account, but without the admin privileges.

Re: PostgreSQL on Windows Paper

From
Dave Page
Date:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 12:22, Chris Travers wrote:
>> Hi all;
>>
>> Microsoft has seen it fit to publish a paper I have written as an
>> introduction to PostgreSQL on Windows.  This paper covers the basics of
>> installing and configuring the software.  I thought it might be of
>> interest here so here is the link:
>>
>> http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/02/22/postgresql-on-windows-a-primer.aspx
>>
>> If there are any editorial concerns they can be directed to me.  It is
>> my hope that this will help introduce our favorite RDBMS to a wider
>> audience.
>
> One point, the paper mentions that you can't run pgsql under an admin
> account, but I thought that changed with 8.2.  Or is that with Vista or
> something?

Yes, it did change with 8.2. A couple of other points whilst we're on
the subject:

- It says to click postgresql-8.2-int.msi to install. That's wrong -
it's postgresql-8.2.msi.

- It says that 'one should expect performance on Windows to be lower
[because of the per-process architecture], especially where large
numbers of small queries are made.' That's not really accurate - it will
be slower when there are large numbers of short lived connections. Lots
of queries in one connection should be fine though.

- It should be noted that on Vista, UAC can be re-enabled following
installation. We are aiming to fix this for 8.3.

- It's "pgAdmin III", not PGAdmin III or PgAdmin III (yeah, I know, get
a life Dave...)

Regards, Dave

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL on Windows Paper

From
Magnus Hagander
Dave Page wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 12:22, Chris Travers wrote:
>>> Hi all;
>>>
>>> Microsoft has seen it fit to publish a paper I have written as an
>>> introduction to PostgreSQL on Windows.  This paper covers the basics of
>>> installing and configuring the software.  I thought it might be of
>>> interest here so here is the link:
>>>
>>> http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/02/22/postgresql-on-windows-a-primer.aspx
>>>
>>> If there are any editorial concerns they can be directed to me.  It is
>>> my hope that this will help introduce our favorite RDBMS to a wider
>>> audience.
>> One point, the paper mentions that you can't run pgsql under an admin
>> account, but I thought that changed with 8.2.  Or is that with Vista or
>> something?
>
> Yes, it did change with 8.2. A couple of other points whilst we're on
> the subject:
>
> - It says to click postgresql-8.2-int.msi to install. That's wrong -
> it's postgresql-8.2.msi.
>
> - It says that 'one should expect performance on Windows to be lower
> [because of the per-process architecture], especially where large
> numbers of small queries are made.' That's not really accurate - it will
> be slower when there are large numbers of short lived connections. Lots
> of queries in one connection should be fine though.

I believe ou will still see worse performance, because of at least two
things: context switching is more expensive (much more), and shared
memory access appears to be more expensive.
It will be worse if you have short lived connections, of course.

> - It should be noted that on Vista, UAC can be re-enabled following
> installation. We are aiming to fix this for 8.3.
>
> - It's "pgAdmin III", not PGAdmin III or PgAdmin III (yeah, I know, get
> a life Dave...)

Nah, you gotta keep at them. it's like all those people who use postgre.

//Magnus

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> - It says that 'one should expect performance on Windows to be lower
>> [because of the per-process architecture], especially where large
>> numbers of small queries are made.' That's not really accurate - it will
>> be slower when there are large numbers of short lived connections. Lots
>> of queries in one connection should be fine though.
>
> I believe ou will still see worse performance, because of at least two
> things: context switching is more expensive (much more), and shared
> memory access appears to be more expensive.
> It will be worse if you have short lived connections, of course.

OK, 'relatively speaking'. I think the important part is the connection
setup time, if only because many web apps may setup new connections for
every page (for example) which is where people often seem to come
unstuck and really see the performance hit.

Regards, Dave.