Ident authentication failed for user - URGENT

From
"Marina Olhovsky"

Hello,

I'm trying to assign a password for a postgres user.  I've logged in as postgres, issued "alter user my_user with password 'my_passwd'".  Doing "select * from pg_users" shows the new user with password assigned.  However, when I try to start psql as the new user: "psql -U my_user -W" and enter my_passwd as password, I get "Ident authentication failed" error.  Could someone please help ASAP?  TIA.

Re: Ident authentication failed for user - URGENT

From
Andreas Kretschmer
Date:
Marina Olhovsky <olhovsky@mshri.on.ca> schrieb:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to assign a password for a postgres user.  I've logged in as
> postgres, issued "alter user my_user with password 'my_passwd'".  Doing "select
> * from pg_users" shows the new user with password assigned.  However, when I
> try to start psql as the new user: "psql -U my_user -W" and enter my_passwd as
> password, I get "Ident authentication failed" error.  Could someone please help

Ident authentication means, that the actual user can identified with the
ident-service. I think, you should read more about authentification, for
instance there:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/client-authentication.html

Andreas
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)

Re: Ident authentication failed for user - URGENT

From
brian
Date:
Marina Olhovsky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to assign a password for a postgres user.  I've logged in
> as postgres, issued "alter user my_user with password 'my_passwd'".
> Doing "select * from pg_users" shows the new user with password
> assigned.  However, when I try to start psql as the new user: "psql
> -U my_user -W" and enter my_passwd as password, I get "Ident
> authentication failed" error.  Could someone please help ASAP?  TIA.

Do you already have other users that can log in to psql? What does you
pg_hba.conf file have? Can you create the user successfully with createuser?

Have you read the docs thoroughly?